December 2018 Finds of the Month Entries

digit

13 hours ago, History Hunter02 said:

This is by far my best fossil I have ever discovered and my first entry ever for the vertebrate fossil of the month.  This is a 100% complete canine tooth from Canis dirus, or the dire wolf.  All the enamel and the root is still on it, meaning the wolf died with this tooth still in its skull and was fossilized, now being washed ashore due to the strong winds and rough surf.  It was sitting on top of the beach in an area I was searching near Charleston, SC.  Thanks for checking out this post! -Justice (History Hunter02)

22 December 2018

Canis dirus

Pleistocene Epoch, Unidentified Offshore Unit

South Carolina beach, near Charleston

Nice find! 

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 12/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, DE&i said:

This large tooth from a crocodylomorph, possibly thalattosuchian was found from a quarry in Lincolnshire UK.

The quarry shows the finest “section” of Bajocian (Jurassic ~175mya) to Bathonian (Jurassic ~165mya) strata currently available in inland Britain with extensive outcrops of Middle Jurassic strata. At the very top of the exposures (section) is the base of the Oxford Clay which is where I found the tooth, this Oxford Clay is a very limited exposure making the tooth a significant find.

Found on the 1st of December 2018.

Geology below:

crocodylomorph tooth in-situ 

crocodylomorph tooth prepped

:drool::faint::faint::faint::faint:

• I found this Informative 1

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 hour ago, DE&i said:

This large tooth from a crocodylomorph, possibly thalattosuchian was found from a quarry in Lincolnshire UK.

The quarry shows the finest “section” of Bajocian (Jurassic ~175mya) to Bathonian (Jurassic ~165mya) strata currently available in inland Britain with extensive outcrops of Middle Jurassic strata. At the very top of the exposures (section) is the base of the Oxford Clay which is where I found the tooth, this Oxford Clay is a very limited exposure making the tooth a significant find.

That’s a great find! I love the background information as well.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Wow!

Edited by Fossildude19

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

On 12/23/2018 at 8:26 PM, History Hunter02 said:

This is by far my best fossil I have ever discovered and my first entry ever for the vertebrate fossil of the month.  This is a 100% complete canine tooth from Canis dirus, or the dire wolf.  All the enamel and the root is still on it, meaning the wolf died with this tooth still in its skull and was fossilized, now being washed ashore due to the strong winds and rough surf.  It was sitting on top of the beach in an area I was searching near Charleston, SC.  Thanks for checking out this post! -Justice (History Hunter02)

Now THIS is the jaw-dropper. :envy:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Found on the 1st of December 2018.

That's a wonderful tooth!! Congrats on finding it :D And it's not like crocodylomorph remains are the most common in the Oxford Clay ;)  

I also like the background you give, very informative!

Excellent fossil, and excellent entry :D 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 12/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, PaleoNoel said:

On a jealousy scale from 1 to 10 I'm at about 12. That's an awesome find! Congratulations!

On 12/24/2018 at 8:03 AM, belemniten said:

:drool::faint::faint::faint::faint:

On 12/25/2018 at 5:28 AM, FossilsAnonymous said:

Wow!

16 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

4 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's a wonderful tooth!! Congrats on finding it :D And it's not like crocodylomorph remains are the most common in the Oxford Clay ;)  

I also like the background you give, very informative!

Excellent fossil, and excellent entry :D 

-Christian

Hey Y'all, Please read this thread...

Thank You!

• I found this Informative 7

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Hey Y'all, Please read this thread...

Sorry about that :( I'll make sure to minimise the lengths of my quotes in the future

-Christian

• I found this Informative 2

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Sorry as well, guess I just got a little carried away with all the nice fossils!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

These are terrific fossils and the point is to get carried away drooling over them. :drool:

Tony's point is not to minimize anybody's text when replying but only to be judicious and edit out the images if replying to an earlier post so they don't get redundantly included over and over again. They are great photos but we really only need to see these once and it will be easier to find the useful text without all of the scrolling down to get past the repeated images.

I'm going to make sure we have a request registered with the forum's software developers to see if they can't come up with a nice way to handle replies that include images--possibly omitting or thumbnailing the images to minimize their impact.

Only 4 days left to get in your submissions for this month's contest. Some really great entries so far but you all have been slacking since Christmas (must be too much eggnog). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 6

This is my first participation in the Fossil of the Month election.

I take part with a very weird fossil. It is an operculum of a rather large serpulid. Due to the fact that this operculum

was found loose in residue collected in the uppermost cretaceous deposits in Maastricht (NL), it is not yet

possible to link it to a certain species (or even genus). But it is a very well preserved piece, showing wonderful

branchlets on the cucullus.

Hope you enjoy this find and vote for it. It was found on the 1st of December in the Meerssen member, ENCI quarry,

Maastricht (NL)

Best wishes,

Oliver

Operculum_ENCI_Meerssen_1118_2.jpg

Operculum_ENCI_Meerssen_1118_1.jpg

Edited by Hubertus68
  • I found this Informative 8

1 hour ago, Hubertus68 said:

It is an operculum of a rather large serpulid. Due to the fact that this operculum

was found loose in residue collected in the uppermost cretaceous deposits in Maastricht (NL), it is not yet

possible to link it to a certain species (or even genus). But it is a very well preserved piece, showing wonderful

Hello Hubertus68-

I noticed you have been working on Cretaceous bryozoa. I’m curious why you ruled out bryozoan for this specimen. I’ve collected many serpulid operculum but have never seen one with branching structures that this fossil has. Serpulid operculum are aragonite and usually only found where shell beds are preserved. Does ENCI have aragonitic shells preserved?

48 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Hello Hubertus68-

I noticed you have been working on Cretaceous bryozoa. I’m curious why you ruled out bryozoan for this specimen. I’ve collected many serpulid operculum but have never seen one with branching structures that this fossil has. Serpulid operculum are aragonite and usually only found where shell beds are preserved. Does ENCI have aragonitic shells preserved?

At first I too thought of an encrusting bryozoan colony that grew upon the cucullus, but this structure is part of the operculum. I found two identically formed specimen in the same layers. Opercula in general can be aragonitic as well as calcitic. Aragonitic material is not preserved at this location.

17 hours ago, digit said:

you all have been slacking since Christmas 

It might have something to do with the frozen tundra half the world has to dig in this time of year. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It might have something to do with the frozen tundra half the world has to dig in this time of year. ;)

It's a distinct possibility. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

On 12/11/2018 at 11:23 PM, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Ok, zacznę od tego miesiąca. Stwierdzono to w praniu nad brzegiem rzeki Savannah, gdzie duże i małe zęby zostały posortowane z granitowych skał, z których korzystają kopię napełnić wyłączniki zabezpieczające banki. To naprawdę nie było imponujące, aż wziąłem obraz w wysokiej rozdzielczości i bardzo mi się podobało.  

Osobiście jestem uwagę na kopalnych sztuki, artyzmu Matki Natury. Ona pracuje na tym płótnie przez bardzo długi czas i po prostu się razem, aby docenić to ... zabawne, jak to działa na zewnątrz. 

Dzięki,

Brett 

Interesting structure and beautiful teeth colors.
The technique you used to save these specimens, i.e. scanning, is a very good idea. I used it too. To sum up, very creative and original, you showed these fossils.

@Al Tahan Some of us are eagerly expecting a little New York eurypterid in this thread ;) 

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Hello fossil folks,

Here is an end of the month find to cap off 2018!! Got very lucky and scored a beautiful example of Eurypterus remipes. I made a trip report so I’ll spare the extra details but I’m very grateful to finally have a beautiful exemplary Eurypterid after years of admiration. 

Geologic age: Upper Silurian 

Formation: Fiddlers green formation, Phelps member

Date: Found on December 29th, 2018

I posted 4 photos. It’s “2” fossils but 1 molt so it’s sort of a twin fossil submission lol. 

Photo 1: all peeped in my home with a scale.

Photo 2: what I saw when I split the slab.

Photo 3: a close up of one half

Photo 4: another close up

Thanks everyone, :D

Al :trilowalk:

85958888-5166-4CE9-8E58-113C81819F51.thumb.jpeg.f9ac1cca4318dccb3b7bf585d2610c9a.jpeg

2BF85ABF-7E37-44E8-8F0E-2E62785BFEED.jpeg

881C64C0-2079-4844-82D7-AE6E39ED73DA.jpeg

C780BB87-A2D0-4BFC-BD38-05F44D62D030.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

As I have not put an entry in for a while

Discovered 8-12-18

Squalicorax sp - Pathological specimen

Toolebuc formation - Albian

Found sieving matrix from near Richmond Queensland Australia

Mike

5c29f09701572_pathalogicsqualicorax8-12-181-1.jpg.16faa451483691ba0c47d9d84fdf7a06.jpg5c29f09aa9260_pathalogicsqualicorax8-12-181-2.jpg.a15ed361c02bdc6ce971cbab7ac25aab.jpg

pathalogic squalicorax 8-12-18 1-1.jpg

pathalogic squalicorax 8-12-18 1-2.jpg

Edited by Mike from North Queensland
Lightened photos
  • I found this Informative 10

On 12/28/2018 at 11:07 AM, Hubertus68 said:

This is my first participation in the Fossil of the Month election.

I take part with a very weird fossil. It is an operculum of a rather large serpulid. Due to the fact that this operculum

Hope you enjoy this find and vote for it. It was found on the 1st of December in the Meerssen member, ENCI quarry,

Maastricht (NL)

Best wishes,

Oliver

What an unusual and beautiful object! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Hello fossil folks,

Here is an end of the month find to cap off 2018!! Got very lucky and scored a beautiful example of Eurypterus remipes. I made a trip report so I’ll spare the extra details but I’m very grateful to finally have a beautiful exemplary Eurypterid after years of admiration. 

Geologic age: Upper Silurian 

Formation: Fiddlers green formation, Phelps member

Date: Found on December 29th, 2018

I posted 4 photos. It’s “2” fossils but 1 molt so it’s sort of a twin fossil submission lol. 

Photo 1: all peeped in my home with a scale.

Photo 2: what I saw when I split the slab.

Photo 3: a close up of one half

Photo 4: another close up

Thanks everyone, :D

Al 

WOW ! 

Stunning find! 

Congratulations! :faint:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

3 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Squalicorax sp - Pathological specimen

Nice specimen! 

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

My first ever entry into the invertebrate category is my first ever ammonite!

I found this little guy on the 20th while hunting elk near Chama, NM.

Scaphitid ammonoid

Date of discovery: 12-20-2018

Formation: Mancos Shale

Geologic age: Upper Cretaceous

Ammodude3.jpg

Ammodude2.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

52 minutes ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

My first ever entry into the invertebrate category is my first ever ammonite!

I found this little guy on the 20th while hunting elk near Chama, NM.

I am pretty sure it's a Prionocyclus sp. but maybe someone (cough @PFOOLEY cough) could help with specifics.

Date of discovery: 12-20-2018

Formation: Mancos Shale

Geologic age: Upper Cretaceous

You might check out Metoicoceras, and in particular Metoicoceras geslinianum.

Don

On 12/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Sorry about that :( I'll make sure to minimise the lengths of my quotes in the future

-Christian

On 12/26/2018 at 7:00 PM, Macrophyseter said:

On 12/27/2018 at 2:08 PM, FossilsAnonymous said:

Sorry as well, guess I just got a little carried away with all the nice fossils!

This is especially important in the Fossil of the Month topics, as quoted pictures make it difficult to create the contest at the end of the month. 

Please do not quote with pictures in this topic. 

Thanks for your cooperation. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me