rapp beach hunting

Rowboater

120118.thumb.jpg.1fb7ea7f4d5450bd269eed2e3db44906.jpgHad a southwest wind and a slight blowout tide (wind southwest).  Found lots (30+)  of small teeth in the 'wash' but nothing else but  small whale bone pieces and some pottery shards (lots of rusted metal and glass as well along with glass and wood and leaves).   Water was really cold.  One decent (1 1/2") mako; although numbers were unusually good for the beach, nothing all that interesting or spectacular.

• I found this Informative 2

14 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice mako tooth! I’m not savvy with shark teeth but I’m becoming a fan :) 

We will turn you to the "Shark" side!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Rowboater said:

Had a southwest wind and a slight blowout tide (wind southwest).  Found lots (30+)  of small teeth in the 'wash' but nothing else but  small whale bone pieces and some pottery shards (lots of rusted metal and glass as well along with glass and wood and leaves).   Water was really cold.  One decent (1 1/2") mako; although numbers were unusually good for the beach, nothing all that interesting or spectacular.

I disagree - any day that you can fossil hunt, and find things is a spectacular day.

Sometimes, we take our finds for granted. There are those who would give their right arm to be able to walk along a beach, and find shark teeth! ;) 

Very cool finds, in my book. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Yes all us shark tooth lovers will convert him

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Imagine the heavy breathing...

"Come with me my son, join me on the Shark Side"!

*sorry for the cheesy Darth Vader reference.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 hours ago, Darktooth said:

56 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Yes all us shark tooth lovers will convert him

@Al Tahan No! Never! Don't turn to the shark-ness! 

Stick with your Paleozoic New York cephalopods ;) those are also quite cool, dare I say....

-Christian

P.S. Actually, "you do you" - I'm not gonna prevent you from getting into shark teeth ;) don't worry

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

11 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I disagree - any day that you can fossil hunt, and find things is a spectacular day.

Sometimes, we take our finds for granted. There are those who would give their right arm to be able to walk along a beach, and find shark teeth! ;) 

Very cool finds, in my book. 

I agree with you. I know people who hunt an 8 hour day and are happy to find a few broken teeth. I on the other hand prefer fossil "collecting" to fossil "hunting."

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@Al Tahan No! Never! Don't turn to the shark-ness! 

Stick with your Paleozoic New York cephalopods ;) those are also quite cool, dare I say....

-Christian

P.S. Actually, "you do you" - I'm not gonna prevent you from getting into shark teeth ;) don't worry

Hahaha :) I’ll always be eyes deep in the Hamilton group with trilobites and associated fauna (brachs,cephalopods)!! I’m mostly a fanboy of meg teeth lol. Typical right? Lol 

As I noted NUMBER-WISE this was by far my best hunt at the beach this year, so can't really complain.   I've had many days in the last month where I found none or just a few. However, most days when I find a lot of teeth (5-10 qualifies!) on the beach, there are usually lots of other fossil stuff -- bones, skate teeth (still looking for a plate), vertebrae, shrimp coprolites-- deposited along with the teeth.  No digging or screening, and the tide didn't quite get out to the last visible layer of shells/ debris (and the cold water even made just over my ankles painful).  When small teeth are plentiful like this trip, I feel like I must have over-looked and missed something more interesting on the beach.