Red Hill Matrix

lissa318

Hi everyone!  I have what I was told is Red Hill matrix that has been sitting on my porch for a very long time now...  Anyone familiar with this matrix that can help me out?  I am wondering if it does in fact look like Red Hill and the best way to break the matrix down?  Some are very large chunks that have too much quartz to dissolve I think but here are some of the smaller pieces. As you can see there's a lot of shells in there...  lol Any feedback appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

20181201_112156.jpg

Doesn't look like Red Hill matrix to me, Melissa.  :unsure: 

Don't know where it is from, but I don't think there are brachiopods in the Red Hill Roadcut. 

Looks like some type of Spiriferid.  

Good to see you posting here again. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, look like some very interesting spiriferids. :)

But no idea of the formation. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Doesn't look like Red Hill matrix to me, Melissa.  :unsure: 

Don't know where it is from, but I don't think there are brachiopods in the Red Hill Roadcut. 

Looks like some type of Spiriferid.  

Good to see you posting here again. :) 

Awww man thanks Tim!  He gave me a bunch of pieces and these were the closest I found to what looked like Red Hill when I googled it...  It didn't look quite right though?  Oh well I guess I don't need to worry about breaking it down then.  lol He told me if i looked closely I'd see little teeth and after looking VERY closely i couldn't see any.  That explains why?!  Hahaha Thanks and I'm glad to be back!!!  :)

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, look like some very interesting spiriferids. :)

But no idea of the formation. 

Thank you.  I am disappointed it isn't actually Red Hill though...  Oh well.  :hearty-laugh:

If I had to guess it looks like spiriferid packed Limestone from the port jervis or trilobite ridge area. Dissolving it will likely dissolve the fossils too.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

24 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

If I had to guess it looks like spiriferid packed Limestone from the port jervis or trilobite ridge area. Dissolving it will likely dissolve the fossils too.

Thanks! And that is exactly why I was wondering how to do it... Anything I could see in there looked like it would easily dissolve to nothing if I soaked it in vinegar.  Appreciate the help!  I don't see anything that looks trilobite like in there but maybe I'll give them a whack and see what's going on inside.  :)

One thing that was interesting is alot of the pieces were loaded with wavellite and had shells.  I packed a couple of the best colored ones up because the mineral was so nice that I could never dissolve it!  

Sure Tony!  The one piece on the front porch is covered with wavellite as well so I just snapped a few pics.  The ones I put away are a prettier green than this which is why I wanted to keep them. Some have almost veins of it running through them! Pretty cool material if you ask me. :)

30 minutes ago, ynot said:

Would like to see these.

20181201_205531.jpg

57 minutes ago, lissa318 said:

Some have almost veins of it running through them! Pretty cool material if you ask me. :)

It is a vein forming mineral. I agree and like the way these are exposed. They grew in a harrow crack in the rock and one side of said crack has spalled off to expose these flattened crystals.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.