Fluorescence in Fossils

Ptychodus04

While taking pics of some calcite under long wavelength UV light, I noticed a glow coming from my one and only Fox Hills ammonite (thanks to @RJB). I thought it was rather beautiful.

104E8D13-C76D-4AC8-9552-501D8A5C4959.thumb.jpeg.a71b11dc493a7f0027f63be7aef8c24e.jpeg

CE9AC021-73C3-481D-872E-BCE52D42CF42.thumb.jpeg.a80b5f06dbd885dbc7ecfe829f48c07e.jpeg

All of my fossils that have calcite preservation fluoresced nicely.

• I found this Informative 6

It was a cool fossil even before you revealed the fluorescence now it's even more cool!:dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

My favs are the teeth on White River mammals.  FYI, I picked up a 51 black LED flashlight for $10 incl shipping from China.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The grin of the Oreodont named Lucinda, from snolly's old prep series of this Merycoidodon gracilis. The glow in person is a greenish-yellow.

post-8873-0-46340600-1393941197.thumb.jpg.401d494f60ab4aa4b59bedd80527c63b.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

11 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

my one and only Fox Hills ammonite

Sorry say ole buddy, but that ammo is from the Pierre Shale in Montana.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

Very neat fossils! :D Love the ammonite!

I'd never actually thought that there was such a thing as 'fluorescent fossils'... Some fascinating stuff!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Sorry say ole buddy, but that ammo is from the Pierre Shale in Montana.

RB

Thanks for the clarification. This is now my one and only ammonite from the Pierre Shale. :D

• I found this Informative 1

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks for the clarification. This is now my one and only ammonite from the Pierre Shale.

Were gunna hafta get a Fox Hills one too.  Got a ton of em sittin on my garage floor. 

RB

Here in central Pa where many of our fossils are calcite replacements flourescent fossils aren't uncommon. Its just the calcite. I have  collected some beautiful fluorite but none that glows. I lw/sw check everything before making it parking lot gravel.:muahaha:

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno