Dinosaur claw, Isle of wight uk

Adie_uk

I have never had much luck finding Dionsaur fossils on the isle of wight, the odd rolled bit here and there, this summer i was getting better and spotting the rolled bone better. As well as fossil hunting i love metal detecting on the beaches. Well last weel i was detecting the shingle on a washed out clay area, there was lots of bits of fossil wood that kept catching my eye and i picked some of them up to check.... i found some bullet heads and shrapnel and a few badly beach tumbled coins... the light was fading and i spotted what was either another bit of fossil wood...or maybe bone so i picked it up anyway, it gently scrapped it with my thumb nail and it was hard so not wood.... i looked at it for a short moment and said to my friend who knows nothing about fossils "its looks like a claw" but how many people have picked up something that just looks like a tooth or a claw, he thought it was wood or coal but i have found claws at bouldnor from other animals so i had a good feeling but did not want to get my hopes up. I hope home and posted some photos up for some local hunters to look at, the feed back was looking good but no one dare commit to saying "yer it is a claw". I took it to the local museum the next day and i was glad to hear it was  in deed a claw.... there was one other specimin there to compair it to but they are such an un common find there is not much to compair it to. I was told it was likely to be an arm claw because of the curvature it had but at the moment species is unknown.... assumptions are Baryonyx or Neovenator.... i have left it with them in the hope they get a chance to have a good look and see if they come up with anything.... fingers crossed for more info soon.... Happy hunting eveyone! :)

DSC06418.JPG

DSC06420.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Nice but not sure what it could be from. It has got to be a Baryonyx or Neovenator as you said! I have never seen a Neovantor claw but have seen a Baryonyx before.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Amazing find! Im not expert but to me it looks like a Theropod claw. Again congrats on the find:dinothumb:

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Nice find! I'm leaning towards neovenatorid manual (hand) claw...

-Christian

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

congrats, what a find :D

I've been to IOW myself and all I did find were a few rolled dino bones.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Really cool find!

I would lean away from Baryonyx. It doesn't seem to match too well.

Hand of Baryonyx for reference.

5590128002_a7d757972f.jpg.a048608d1383f7b46c724af0c4bb5fda.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Congrats on that, incredible find..do you plan on restoring it eventually, or leaving it as is? Personally I think it looks awesome as is. Good stuff. 

Thanks again guys, yes its a shame its missing its tip but looking at the thickness of the break its not missing as much as it looks like it is. I think i will mould a recpica from it and reconstruck that.... :) some other bits found this week from the same spot....

DSC06463.JPG

DSC06460.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

I think it's probably either Neovenator or Eotyrannus. Considering their claws are not as "broad" all the way, as the Baryonyx.