Virginia Miocene 10/21/18

HoppeHunting

After an extremely successful and enjoyable first trip to the Miocene of Virginia, my dad and I decided to give it another go when we saw that another guided trip was being held in late October. Our first trip resulted in my two biggest teeth ever, massive mako and huge hastalis. This time around, there weren't as many people on the trip, which is typically a good sign because it means less competition. The conditions, however, were brutal. It was very cold, and on top of that there were extremely fast gusting winds that made the river look more like an angry sea. Luckily, the tide was remarkably low while we were there, so there was a TON of ground to cover. I ventured south in search of some large shark teeth, and was successful to an extent. I talked with a woman who showed me a decent meg she had just found, but that was just about the best find I saw all day. Although I didn't come away with anything spectacular this time, I still got a respectable haul consisting of lots of hemis, some decent makos, a couple massive Chesapectan, and more of the typical Miocene finds. A big thank you to @SailingAlongToo again, for his instrumental role in organizing and supervising the trip. Already can't wait to head out again. I know there's a meg out there somewhere with my name on it. I'll find it one of these days. Thanks for reading!

~David

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Here are a few pictures of the scenery. You can really see how windy it was, especially in the picture from atop the cliffs looking down over the river. Just look at all the whitecaps!

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Yes, it was like this when I went to Matoaka. The water was freezing and there was some pretty decent wind.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Glad that you had a successful hunt! Looks like a decent haul.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You'll get your meg, i'm sure. 

But there are some splendid finds there anyway! 

And the photos are great.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Do the shark teeth come out of the cliff or do they wash in?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

And if the shark teeth come out of the cliff, are there some horizons (or may be only one) which you can find some shark teeth?

Your photos are great.