Help with Fossil ID - Matoaka Beach 12/2/18

rockfishmatt

Hi folks - new to the forum. This is my very first post.  I took the advice of fossil guy and checked out Matoaka Beach today.  The temps were supposed to be warmer than usual.  A little rainy.  All of the rain we have had lately led me to believe there might be some wash outs along the cliff.  Found several Chesapecten, coral, big barnacles, and clams.  Below are pics of things I can't ID and was hoping for some help.  Two pieces look like bone.  Would love to get the forums thoughts!

IMG_1309.jpeg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c1c.jpg

IMG_1311.jpeg

Edited by rockfishmatt
Did it wrong the first time

First one is a slice of bone that has gone through a band saw ( butcher shop remenent?)

Second one, I can't explain the markings and the third looks to be some sort of shell, but no clue what is shaped like that.

Hopefully you will get some answers soon.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The bone with the markings looks like it could be grooving from a spiral cut ham (or something similar).   Can’t say I’ve exactly seen that, but that is what I envision that looking like. Interesting. 

• I found this Informative 1

The second item looks like a section of a water worn, broken shell, with some borings. 

IMG_1313.jpeg.91b3546520f5d0e4850e8abbe4e93355.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with the others that the third fossil is a shell fragment, potentially from the genus of oyster Isognomoton (just basing that off the fluted structure).

• I found this Informative 3

The shell in question is a Miocene tree oyster, previously known as Isognomon maxillata. They are quite common, usually are broken, and frequently delaminate as they dry out.

• I found this Informative 4

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

I believe ClearLake pegged the bone with markings.  It seems to fit the same configuration as the spiral cut ham.

20181203_060859.png

20181203_060920.png

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I believe ClearLake pegged the bone with markings.  It seems to fit the same configuration as the spiral cut ham.

Looks yummy for my tummy!!! :rofl:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida. 3rd one I agree with others, a worn bivalve shell fragment still showing the ribs of the shell. At first glance it looked like mammoth tooth....wouldn't that been awesome. :)

11 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

I agree with the others that the third fossil is a shell fragment, potentially from the genus of oyster Isognomoton (just basing that off the fluted structure).

Spot on. See: https://www.schnecken-und-muscheln.de/Bivalve-shells/Pteriidae/Isognomon-isognomum-PH-1-2-8-cm::2910.html?language=en

5828234B-CB08-43B6-A624-558A4D4D1A35.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg.91b3546520f5d0e4850e8abbe4e93355.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I agree!

Document.thumb.jpg.60c27d536b7c3102ca9af78f08cf6ec1.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library