Sign in to follow this  
rockfishmatt

Matoaka Beach - 12-02-18

rockfishmatt

Took a trip to Matoaka Beach for the first time today.  Alot of bivalves, barnacles, couple pieces of coral, and one snail.  Here's a pic!  No sharks teeth but I will keep trying!

IMG_1322.HEIC

IMG_1322.jpeg

Edited by rockfishmatt
forgot a couple words

Tidgy's Dad

Some nice finds there. :)

Love the different pectinids. 

Good luck with the shark's teeth next time. 

DanKurek

Nice finds! Some pretty neat bivalves :)

HoppeHunting

Great finds! Although you can clearly have some success beachcombing at Matoaka, I’ve personally found that the most efficient method is digging through the massive fallen chunks of cliff. Those things are absolutely chalk full of invertebrates. That’s how I managed to find dozens of huge Chesapectan, as well as a nice Ecphora that I cautiously excavated. Now, I’m not sure what method you used, but if you didn’t dig through the cliff falls then I definitely suggest giving it a shot next time. Should increase both quantity and quality of your haul. Always love to see reports from Matoaka. It’s truly a unique Calvert site. Thanks for sharing! 

Hoppe hunting!

Littlefoot

Those are some wonderful finds! I especially like your snail shell! Looks like a successful trip!

I'm nodding in agreement with Hoppe Hunting's advice to dig through the cliff falls. The first few times I went to Matoaka, I didn't know about digging, and I had barely any finds. I marked Matoaka off as a poor fossil site, but then I saw what people were getting out of the cliff falls. There are some beautiful shells hidden there! 

rockfishmatt

Thanks for the tips on the cliff falls!  I was concerned about breaking the law given you can't dig in the cliffs.  I guess the falls are ok.  There were some HUGE pieces of gray pieces of clay that had fallen before I got there.  Is that what I should look for next time?  Also, any tips on finding sharks teeth?

rockfishmatt

Here’s another find from yesterday at Matoaka.  This piece of conglomerate has a lot of shell, sand, and clay.  Notice the large piece protruding on the right hand side.  Possibly a piece of bone.  Afraid to break it apart.  I don’t have a drill.

3B17EE15-DBAD-4728-A57F-C561AB39EE93.jpeg

racerzeke

How were the leaves? I made a trip to the cliffs about a week ago and everything was blown out which was nice but I needed a rake to sift through the inch of leaf cover... beautiful finds though!

rockfishmatt

A lot of willow oak leaves.  You’re right, a rake is useful.  A lot of little shell pieces as well which made shark tooth searching difficult.  I need to get out there on a really low tide

FossilsAnonymous
22 hours ago, racerzeke said:

How were the leaves? I made a trip to the cliffs about a week ago and everything was blown out which was nice but I needed a rake to sift through the inch of leaf cover... beautiful finds though!

When do the leaves normally disappear? Winter is my best time to fossil hunt really and they always disappear at different times.

b. bartron

Matoaka is awesome! Digging in the falls there is perfectly fine as long as you are on their property and have paid the 5 bucks you don't have to worry about the high tide line.  Just don't dig into the cliff face directly and youre legal.  Don't bury yourself though. Safety first.