Diplomystus poweri Lebanon

RJB

I was just going through a box of fossils that been sittin here in my office for awhile now.  Besides lots of other cool stuff I ran into this little beauty.   Diplomystus poweri from Hajoula lebanon and Cretaceous in age.  I bought this about 20 years ago.   I think its real?    I only have my readers on at the moment and parts of the head look a bit fishy?  No pun intended.

RB

DSCN1962.JPG

Looks like an excellent specimen to me Ron. :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Diplomystus poweri from Hajoula lebanon and Cretaceous in age

Of course, I have only ever touched Diplomystus dentatus  from the Green River Formation, Eocene. The head of your critter looks like a familiar diplo, but obviously, "shorter" and deeper bodied for its size. These traits to my eye are so exaggerated that it makes me question the legitimacy of the specimen. In addition, the spine of the dorsal fin looks preternaturally long for the total size of the critter. But having no experience of fish from that location or age; I will have to wait for those of experience to educate me.  Perhaps a short, fat, big-headed diplo was the norm for that time/locale.

Edit: I searched for "D. poweri". The  displayed images of the fish from Lebanon did not look all that different from diplos of Green River. I believe your piece is an artistic endeavor. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

5 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Of course, I have only ever touched Diplomystus dentatus  from the Green River Formation, Eocene. The head of your critter looks like a familiar diplo, but obviously, "shorter" and deeper bodied for its size. These traits to my eye are so exaggerated that it makes me question the legitimacy of the specimen. In addition, the spine of the dorsal fin looks preternaturally long for the total size of the critter. But having no experience of fish from that location or age; I will have to wait for those of experience to educate me.  Perhaps a short, fat, big-headed diplo was the norm for that time/locale.

Worry none my friend.  In a couple of days I will take this specimen and give it the 'once over' with my #10 opti-visor,  then I will be able to see EXACTLY what is going on.  

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

In a couple of days I will take this specimen and give it the 'once over' with my #10 opti-visor, 

You have charted the very best course of action. That approach will show any mischief. I hope I am mistaken about the nature of the piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

34 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Edit: I searched for "D. poweri". The  displayed images of the fish from Lebanon did not look all that different from diplos of Green River. I believe your piece is an artistic endeavor. 

The name is the issue!  ;) 

It should be labeled Diplomystus birdi

Ron's example is quite nice, by comparison.  

This image from Expo Hakel

Diplomystus-Birdi-46 (1).jpg

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

26 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

The name is the issue!  ;) 

It's adorable how short and stout those fish are.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

32 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

he name is the issue!  ;) 

Excellent, that helps! The pictured specimen even has a remnant of the long dorsal, as well as the unexpected, short and fat physiognomy. Thanks.

I was stymied when I searched the first name, as you did. Like you said, ... all that did was bring up Diplomystus dentatus images. 

I knew there was a different species from Lebanon. Just didn't know what the name was.  Luckily, I found it easily at Expo-Hakel.  :) 

Thanks for making me dig a bit deeper. 

As Tim pointed out, Diplomystus birdi is the only valid species from Lebanon:

Forey, P.L., Yi, L., Patterson, C., & Davies, C.E. 2003

Fossil fishes from the Cenomanian (Upper Cretaceous) of Namoura, Lebanon.

Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, 1(4):227-330

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Archived