Too many fossil crabs!!!

RJB

4 hours ago, Barby said:

I'm doomed to not getting crabs! --- meaning that New Zealand, texas, etc., are a bit out of my range: FL. I have found crab body parts, but those whole critters have eluded me.

Whole crabs are hard to come by, as mentioned, which is why most of us keep any partials that we find. But RJB and a few others on the Forum certainly make it hard to be happy with partials! There is a site north of me that produces whole ones (though not huge like RJB's) but the few times I've been there I was skunked. I wouldn't have the means to prep them, anyway, and a proper prep setup costs money and takes lots of practice to master.

Yeah! That is an awesome collection! I love detailed prepping,and I have all the equipment-just think the crabs are cool-looking, and would love to prep one. I only want one that I find myself, though. Picky-picky!

On 12/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, Barby said:

Yeah! That is an awesome collection! I love detailed prepping,and I have all the equipment-just think the crabs are cool-looking, and would love to prep one. I only want one that I find myself, though. Picky-picky!

I have a friend, He is in Florida.  He finds and preps Florida Echinoids... Some examples of his work... Sometimes you just got to make do with what is laying around..

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/51035-dec6th-fossil-show-fort-myers/

Gunther.jpg.5f389dff881617d7b5bd0686ab604c25.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 12/12/2018 at 10:24 AM, Barby said:

and I WANT TO GET CRAAAABS! heh heh....

Hey Barby, even if you had the moneys to go and try to find the crab concretions,  you very well may get skunked.  Im not trying to discurage you but ive been doing this for about 26 years and back in the day it use to be easy and you could find lots and lots of concretions.  With so many places closed down, gated up and posted 'NO TRESPASSING'  I actually buy or trade for most of the concretions I get nowadays.  I know youve mentioned that you want the whole experience, and like you, Im very picky.   You did mention that you have all the prep tools needed. 

RB

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey Barby, even if you had the moneys to go and try to find the crab concretions,  you very well may get skunked.  Im not trying to discurage you but ive been doing this for about 26 years and back in the day it use to be easy and you could find lots and lots of concretions.  With so many places closed down, gated up and posted 'NO TRESPASSING'  I actually buy or trade for most of the concretions I get nowadays.  I know youve mentioned that you want the whole experience, and like you, Im very picky.   You did mention that you have all the prep tools needed. 

RB

The “whole experience” is indeed a Herculean effort, as it involves committing the fuel, time and resources to dicovering unhunted crab sites of your own.  I’ve been fortunate to experience this a few places in Texas.  What prepped crab photos don’t show is the amount of drudgery, dead ends, and empty fuel tanks per keeper specimen.  Many of these sites are temporary exposures.  I did indeed take lots of people out crabbing at sites that still produced after I took a satisfactory “finder’s fee”, but my better sites are now covered or in some way reclaimed.  Once you’ve committed to site exploration as mentioned and put in lots of effort for modest success, then reflect back upon this thread, you’ll fully understand why there has not been a landslide of site info posted herein.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

HI, RJB!

Well, that is really sweet of you to offer,but I just can't fall in love with stuff I don't find myself.I totally enjoy prepping for other hunters as well as for my own finds--but even then, I don't keep much of the stuff I find, either. As soon as I find a better specimen, out goes the other.... helps to pay for the gas for the next hunt!

Boy--I totally know what you mean about the fewer and fewer places to hunt! Liability insurance is the biggie-- but several of my "spots" have refused entry because others trespassed into restricted areas, or messed with equipment.

Sigh! How we do love dirt!

WHOOPS!

I just responded to RJB's post, and thanked him for YOUR offer.

Thank you so much, but I just can't get into stuff that I don't find myself.

And, boy!--do I know what you mean about so many spots shutting down--though they can't be blamed for doing so, as the liability is so great--- plus-- so many hunters do not respect the rules.

There's still goodies out there, though---so we'll gittem!

2 hours ago, Barby said:

Well, that is really sweet of you to offer,but I just can't fall in love with stuff I don't find myself

Ok, but your gunna kick yourself in the future.  Thats a garantee!    I too was the exact same way as you, and then, in later years I began to figure out that if I couldnt find 'it', I could at least prep it and feel like its mine.  and I do with the best in your adventures. 

RB

You're probably right! The more detail, the better--therefore , a crab... but... I just have to dig my own stuff--it's the "high" of finding it-- I'm sure you get that, right?

Thank heavens I have enough vert critters to keep me busy (and dusty) until next May-- first thaw== I'm a-huntin'!

On 12/17/2018 at 5:06 PM, Barby said:

I just have to dig my own stuff--it's the "high" of finding it-- I'm sure you get that, right?

I get it 100%.   its really a treasure hunt

RB

Yup, RB--that is totally IT ! It's such a thrill, after walking miles in 110 heat, lugging equipment--- and ! there IT is! ...another "high" if it's in good condition, and yet another after a successful flip.oooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• I found this Informative 1

I’m about to share my collection of fossils lol....I’ve almost got it all into one room known as the “hobby room” I’m still in the process of moving all my rocks to my house and out of my moms basement. It’s so much stuff!! 

You are not alone hah. 

• I found this Informative 1