Looks Like A Molar

Lindsey

My boyfriend is actually the one who found this tooth, it was found in the North Sulphur River. His first thought was he had just found a human tooth and maybe we needed to alert someone, but after closer inspection the roots appear to be fossilized and the tooth is pretty delicate. This tooth really has us stumped because it looks so much like a human molar, it is actually almost exactly the same size as my one of my molars. I'm not sure if many animals fossils are found in that area, and if so we don't have much knowledge on how long it takes for something to fossilize. One corner of the tooth is missing along with half of the root, it's a bit dirty still as I was afraid to try to clean it. Any help putting an ID to this tooth would be great.

post-2208-12529883563101_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12529883691105_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12529883901316_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12529884018178_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12529884209003_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12529884315013_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon

My boyfriend is actually the one who found this tooth, it was found in the North Sulphur River. His first thought was he had just found a human tooth and maybe we needed to alert someone, but after closer inspection the roots appear to be fossilized and the tooth is pretty delicate. This tooth really has us stumped because it looks so much like a human molar, it is actually almost exactly the same size as my one of my molars. I'm not sure if many animals fossils are found in that area, and if so we don't have much knowledge on how long it takes for something to fossilize. One corner of the tooth is missing along with half of the root, it's a bit dirty still as I was afraid to try to clean it. Any help putting an ID to this tooth would be great.

Hi Lindsey,

Virtually everyone who finds a pig tooth but doesn't know what it is says, "It looks just like a human tooth." Actually makes sense since we are both omnivores. Welcome to the club.

Edited by Smilodon

Hi Lindsey,

Virtually everyone who finds a pig tooth but doesn't know what it is says, "It looks just like a human tooth." Actually makes sense since we are both omnivores. Welcome to the club.

Daaaa, I forgot about pigs, they are every where in that river.

Thank you for the info. I know boar are very abundant in this river obvious from the tracks but do their teeth look fossilized or is this tooth really fossilized, it's very brittle on top of that.

Edited by Lindsey

Guest Smilodon

Thank you for the info. I know boar are very abundant in this river obvious from the tracks but do their teeth look fossilized or is this tooth really fossilized, it's very brittle on top of that.

Sorry, it's not a fossil

Sorry, it's not a fossil

Ok thank you for the info, I will leave my boyfriend to believe otherwise to keep him satisfied ;)

Guest Smilodon

Ok thank you for the info, I will leave my boyfriend to believe otherwise to keep him satisfied ;)

I like your spirit. Be sure not to take this stuff too seriously. :D

I like your spirit. Be sure not to take this stuff too seriously. :D

The way the animals are killing each other out there along with the trash people dump in the river upstream from where we search I stay skeptical on alot. We mostly look for sharks teeth and bones/vertebra with the hope of finding an arrowhead sometime. It's all about the fun and bonding time we get to have.