Can someone tell me what these are?

deebler

No expert on these things for sure but from similar posts pic#1 some sort of ammonite/gonatite fragment (ribbing) and number 2 could possibly be some sort of clam. This is pure guesswork however, take what I say with a grain of salt. It is very helpful for us to get the best ID if you tell us exactly where you found it :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

They are fossilized bivalves-- clam-like. They look similar to a common shell which is frequently found on beaches here in Florida. The live ones have varied "stripes" of tan, cream, and brown.

They are commonly found in the fossil shell pits here, also.If these are what you've found, they are:FAMILY:CARDIIAE

GENUS:Dinocardium

SPECIES:robustum

7 minutes ago, Barby said:

They are fossilized bivalves-- clam-like. They look similar to a common shell which is frequently found on beaches here in Florida. The live ones have varied "stripes" of tan, cream, and brown.

They are commonly found in the fossil shell pits here, also.If these are what you've found, they are:FAMILY:CARDIIAE

GENUS:Dinocardium

SPECIES:robustum

This is the Atlantic giant cockle found along the western Atlantic coast of North America, in the Gulf of Mexico and in the Caribbean Sea. The shell posted here is from the Pacific Ocean Coast, Southern California.

The first one is part of the outer whorl of an ammonite with some ribbing. 

The second is an equally nicely ribbed bivalve. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, deebler said:

We found them in Southern California about two miles from the Pacific ocean on a hill.

That covers a lot of ground. Can You be a little more specific?

Most of the coastal exposures along the California shore are much to recent for ammonites. I think the first is a snail.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I don't think the top one is ribbing on an ammonite-- it looks like the end of one of the bivalves in the other pictures. It appears to have the same size and structure of the others...

2 hours ago, Barby said:

I don't think the top one is ribbing on an ammonite-- it looks like the end of one of the bivalves in the other pictures. It appears to have the same size and structure of the others...

I agree with not an ammonite.

The ribbing is more pronounced and spaced further apart than the typical clam or scallop.

If You could better expose it - that may help get an ID.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think the first one is a weathered internal mold of a bivalve with some shell remnants embedded in the matrix.

5c070e68f034a_fossil1closeup.jpg.308eb3bf2f48988195ae01af794330fa.jpg.74cde978282de7f0cebf492f2563c556.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with Abyssunder ---this one does look like an internal mold-- the shell has eroded away, but the sediment, or matrix which subsequently filled the space which once housed the animal--took on the shape of the interior. Is that another mold of a univalve in one of your other pics?Looks like a snail, but is really the shape of the inside?