Tons of aquatics from Kentucky!!

2ManyHobbies2LittleTime

I just got two big slabs of seabed from Kentucky from a friend of mine. As soon as I got home I took my hammer and chisels to them, and I found a lot of stuff in them. They are both 12 inches wide, and the smaller one is 12 inches long while the larger one is 18 inches long. I found a lot of interesting things, and I'm not done yet. It's going to be an ongoing project because the slabs are thick and one of them has a shell sticking out if it that I will have to work around, it is rooted to deep to get it out without breaking it. But it has been a lot of fun, and found a lot of cool stuff, including this weird stringy stuff that I have never seen before. It might be the burrows of marine worms, but I'm not sure. I also found what I think are fish vertebrae, but I haven't had a chance to photograph those yet, I will probably put those in a separate post later. If you have any idea what these three are please tell me, I am working on labels for all my specimens but without a plausible ID I can't do these yet. This is far from all I have found, I have found sponges, corals, shells, and what sort of looks like a crinoid stem, but I'm not sure because it is standing vertically in the slab, making it really hard to remove. I sent a small piece of the weird stringy stuff (fig. 2) to a friend of a friend who is a geologist, so hopefully that will provide some answers. I would rather have a paleontologist look at it but I will take what I can get, I'm lucky too have access to an expert at all so I shouldn't complain. Anyway, thanks for reading this, even if you can't identify any of these.

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

First picture to dark to make an id.

Second picture modern plant roots.

Third picture need more angles. Straight on to the surface will help with id. (maybe coral)

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.