Real Mosasaur Teeth and Bones?

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

I saw this fossil being sold and I think I am going to buy it, but I don’t know if it’s real or fake. It is two rooted Mosasaur teeth with extra jaws and bones (I contacted the seller, who told me they were also probably Mosasaur bones). It was found in Phosphate Deposits, in Khourigba, Morocco. Please help!

0FFECAF7-835D-492A-9EE7-1D0BA3DED2DC.jpeg

97B712AC-95C1-41A1-B356-3842C7FAA34B.jpeg

1214363B-31AB-427E-8409-54E1AD6DF72B.jpeg

45407C09-3314-4E8E-9390-7DBAD2C3AF56.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The roots of the crowns look fake.  The bones, however, look real.  Not sure if the teeth were added to possibly increase value?  But the roots don't look right in my opinion.

• I found this Informative 2

Judging from the photos alone - actually, the visible roots are the correct shape. Does that prove they are not ersatz? No, but it's a mark in their favor. The other thing that strikes me, and I view as slanted toward authenticity - the damage to both visible crowns. The crowns of Mosasaur teeth are a dime a dozen in Morocco. Why would a forger select damaged teeth to construct a fantasy piece for sale? 

In hand is the only (relatively) sure way to judge fossil material. That being said, would I purchase the piece shown? Yes, if it was returnable and the price was low enough to laugh off, if in the long run, I ended up snookered. If the piece were mine, it would be subjected to additional prep in an effort to convince myself I was dealing with a native in situ deposit of material. 

Good luck, purchase of this material is not without risk regarding its authenticity. 

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Likely completely real. There are no red flags visible on these photos.

The tooth crowns and roots look the correct shape, colour and structure. It all looks completely fine. The slight discolouration near the join where the crown meets the root on the larger tooth is likely because of slight damage or crushing.

Good item in my opinion. If this is a fake, it's certainly not visible on these photos.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

16 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Likely completely real. There are no red flags visible on these photos.

The tooth crowns and roots look the correct shape, colour and structure. It all looks completely fine. The slight discolouration near the join where the crown meets the root on the larger tooth is likely because of slight damage or crushing.

Good item in my opinion. If this is a fake, it's certainly not visible on these photos.

Thanks for the correction:dinothumb::D