dictyoclostus semireticulatus (martin)

blackmoth

I found several pieces of the obviously the same brachiopod species in one site (so they are from the same colony, maybe even the same family) in Yuangquan of Shanxi province, China( known for CP fossils)

the ventral shells seem to be double layered, with clay in bewteen now . This is true for all three piences, but more discernable in the last two ( as shown with circles). In the first piece the outer layer

remains are stripped to reveal a complete outlook.

I knew nothing about brachiopodes. But from the literatures I could get hold of, there is no description of double shell.

semi-2.jpg

semi-1.jpg

semi-3.jpg

Really lovely spiny productid! :wub:

I see the fossilized shell, some damage and part of the internal mold. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

nice productid brachiopod as Tidgy's dad says, probably Pennsylvanian in age. Not enough detail to make a guess as to the circled object.

P-linoproductus-magnispinus2.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 2018/12/7 at 10:01 AM, Herb said:

nice productid brachiopod as Tidgy's dad says, probably Pennsylvanian in age. Not enough detail to make a guess as to the circled object.

P-linoproductus-magnispinus2.jpg

Here is a sideview cross section. It looks weird, but so far  each of the 3  pieces I got from the site indicates the same thing.

semi-4.jpg