What type of teeth?

Reebs

These were found at a construction site in Myakka, FL.  Looking for ID on all of these please and thanks! Is the bottom one a megalodon?     :)

0727482C-5B0D-48F9-A41D-1BFD9931F257.jpeg

25305E34-6CE5-443D-9DBC-FB1C3A025D4E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Reebs said:

These were found at a construction site in Myakka, FL.  Looking for ID on all of these please and thanks! Is the bottom one a megalodon?     :)

0727482C-5B0D-48F9-A41D-1BFD9931F257.jpeg

Hi there .. yes the bottom one looks like a nice meg.  What is the size might I ask ?  The rest on the top from the left is a lower Hemipristis serra a Snaggletooth shark ... and the two on the right are , common name, Sand tiger shark teeth Carcharias sp.

Nice finds !

Where there is one Meg there is always more.  You can bet on it.

And Welcome !

Brett

• I found this Informative 4

Here are some Hemipristis serra lowers for comparison.  Land sites like that are a dream because the small details .. like the fragile cusps, serrations, and sharp edges are retained.  Fantastic spot you have.

03_NorthCentral_FL_Hemi_Hawthorne_Miocene_013117.thumb.jpg.c645287f280569b1f270633498381427.jpg

...... and Carcharias (Sand Tiger shark) examples .... your's are partials.

01_SavannahGA_FieldsCut_080818_SandTiger.thumb.jpg.9d8d3f584e2bcf46b371276eaa35721c.jpg

01_Tiger_SavannahGA_070218.thumb.jpg.8b3bd1b588c4f51f3b065e2fee31675a.jpg

01_CCuspidata_SavannahGA_061118.thumb.jpg.b5edae2ddf9d01a5d9e7f95c499cd151.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Hi! Thanks so much! It’s 1.75 inches. My brother found it and gave it to me. I’ve been searching for 4 years and he stumbled upon them working construction.  I’m looking in all the wrong places! Figures!! I’ll have to get my brother to take me there. 

9 minutes ago, Reebs said:

Hi! Thanks so much! It’s 1.75 inches. My brother found it and gave it to me. I’ve been searching for 4 years and he stumbled upon them working construction.  I’m looking in all the wrong places! Figures!! I’ll have to get my brother to take me there. 

Oh man ! ... construction sites. If only .... I have yet to obtain permission from a land owner for such a wonderful journey.  Usually after a nice hard rain construction sites disturbing fossil bearing deposits are fantastic.

Mother nature does all the work, and washes away the mud and sand sitting on the teeth hiding juuust beneath the surface. Not too many ways to mess that up ... you just have to show up and have a sharp eye.

Good Luck.

B

• I found this Informative 1

I agree that the teeth are that of a lower hemi, sand tigers, and a meg.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Beautiful teeth.  I grew up in Florida but now live in California. I love the Myakka State Park; always lots of gators. Do you hunt on the Peace River?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 1:31 AM, jimbstreet said:

Beautiful teeth.  I grew up in Florida but now live in California. I love the Myakka State Park; always lots of gators. Do you hunt on the Peace River?

Jim

Myakka State Park is gorgeous! I have only hunted the peace river a handful of times.  I would like to go back soon.  

The Peace is great at low water.  Unfortunately I have only been able to come to Florida in the summer.  Not a good time to be on the river.