Genuine Suppliers ?

Hi,

I am new to fossil collecting.

My main interest is Invertebrates & Fish

Have seen some suppliers on online (UK). There are 2 big advertisers / shops that have some items that I am interested in.

How do I know if the items being offered are genuine? 

If I am correct, I am not allowed to name them or post a link?

Advice welcome

Thanks

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Hi,

Right, but you are allowed to put here pics and information, but with your words ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Even trustworthy sellers can be fooled.

There's only one way to be sure. And that is by educating yourself. Sadly the industry for faking fossils is huge and are sold all over the world. Especially fossils from Morocco and China are faked on a massive scale.

But if you have your eye on a specific fossil you want to buy, you can post some photos here and we can try to help identify if it's real or fake. Another tip is to start small. Gaining experience with cheap fossils can be invaluable in later cases.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco where a lot of the best genuine fossils on the market also come from. :)

We will be happy to help if you can post pictures, but no details of the seller, here on the "Is it Real?' section. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I had my eye on these:

s-l225.jpg

s-l226.jpg

s-l227.jpg

Please can you tell me how you came to the conclusion if they are genuine or fake. 

Thanks

Edited by Yoda

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Can't see any details in the 3rd pic (too small), but I'm thinking the first & second are real. The prep is too rough to be fake, especially the 2nd one.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Agree with daves64.

It is possible that the first one, the phacopid, may have some restoration (or could be a fake, what-have-you), but closer images would be required to see if the eye lenses are detailed, or if there is presence of resin bubbles. Usually not worth faking (however, the Drotops layer is quickly being exhausted). 

The second one, the Flexicalymene ouzregui, is very common and in no way worth faking. It is common practice, though, to glue on the cephalon to the thoracopygon. You could probably do better than this example. 

The third one raises some flags. Get much better, close-up images. At the moment, it looks like one of those mass-produced pieces one sometimes sees at rock shows, judging by the shape of the matrix and possibly the orientation of the spines.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Agree with all of the above. 

The last one is almost certainly not genuine. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The first and third pictures are much too small to make a proper judgement.

I agree that the second one looks real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

49 minutes ago, Kane said:

The third one raises some flags. Get much better, close-up images. At the moment, it looks like one of those mass-produced pieces one sometimes sees at rock shows, judging by the shape of the matrix and possibly the orientation of the spines.

Oh, you mean this one? 

dics2.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Didn't know that the Moroccan's had invented paleo-retroactive cloning? :P

I think you have your answer on the third one. Yes, they are impressive looking beasties and you'd love to have one in your collection but you'd only be buying an 'art piece'.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of great information and informative members here.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Hi,

I am new to fossil collecting.

My main interest is Invertebrates & Fish

Have seen some suppliers on online (UK). There are 2 big advertisers / shops that have some items that I am interested in.

How do I know if the items being offered are genuine? 

If I am correct, I am not allowed to name them or post a link?

Advice welcome

Thanks

All very great advice by everyone above. Just to add a few more points of advice:

1. When in doubt, always request additional images. Clear, close-up images from different angles can help in detecting forgeries.

2. Ask what, if any, restorations were performed on the piece. 

3. Ask after the provenance of the piece. Who found it? How was it acquired? Obtaining a clear and verifiable chain from dig site to sales point lends a bit more credibility. Although this is not always possible, it should be information a bit beyond "we bought these wholesale at a rock show from some dude."

Such questions may appear a nuisance to some, but it is your right as a buyer to get all the facts before making a purchase. If the seller is truly wishing to make a sale, they would be obliged to provide any and all additional information you request. 

Liken it to buying a used car and all the questions you might ask: how many previous owners? How many clicks on the odometer? What is its repair history?

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks everyone for your input.

As I mentioned , I am new to this. 

At this stage I am not knowledgeable or experienced. 

Tbh, I would prefer to buy cheaper, entry level specimens. Can't really afford the expensive museum grade specimens, nor do I want to until this hobby is something I want to commit to. 

But on the other hand I don't want to get ripped off by buying fakes. 

Consider joining a local paleontology society or rock and mineral club. You are your best own genuine supplier. Finding your own fossils guarantees their provenance and your fossils usually mean more to you than store bought fossils. Finding your own fossils is the easiest way to spark your educational journey into the addictive world of paleontology.

• I found this Informative 6

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

43 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Consider joining a local paleontology society or rock and mineral club. You are your best own genuine supplier. Finding your own fossils guarantees their provenance and your fossils usually mean more to you than store bought fossils. Finding your own fossils is the easiest way to spark your educational journey into the addictive world of paleontology.

Yep .. haha I couldn't agree more. You really can not get into this hobby unless you plan on rolling up your sleeves, donning a sweet set of shades, and getting dirty. (Cold, Wet, Bitten, Burnt, Broken etc.. ) All while enjoying the great outdoors !

Purchasing fossils from the four corners of the globe is fun, but it's just the sweet icing on the cake.

Good luck.

Brett

PS. Sometimes trading or buying from others in the hobby will get you on the inside track to owning some of the most exquisite fossils. Truly not something you can just hop down and pick up at your local internet connection. 

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

I had my eye on these:

s-l225.jpg

s-l226.jpg

s-l227.jpg

Please can you tell me how you came to the conclusion if they are genuine or fake. 

Thanks

Seller with the cubes is honest and reliable albeit expensive :) 

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Thanks everyone for your input.

As I mentioned , I am new to this. 

At this stage I am not knowledgeable or experienced. 

Tbh, I would prefer to buy cheaper, entry level specimens. Can't really afford the expensive museum grade specimens, nor do I want to until this hobby is something I want to commit to. 

But on the other hand I don't want to get ripped off by buying fakes. 

Where do you live @Yoda

Why not look at the end of year auction there is some lovely lots available and it helps with the upkeep of TFF . It is a win win situation if you win.:D 

There is a UK supplier who seems to be welll known online who is selling bags of 100grams of Ammonites

Is this any good for someone starting out with no experience of cleaning them. 

I would prefer to buy cheaper, entry level specimens. Can't really afford the expensive museum grade specimens, nor do I want to until this hobby is something I want to commit to. 

Exactly why some buyers usually get ripped off. For Moroccan specimens there are so many different levels of quality, that if you settle with the cheapest ones,  it's probably better to just go outside, find a rock and pick it up. :D Find a balance between price, species and quality... All buyers, who have no respect for Moroccan work or think Moroccans are trying to rip them off, should however stick with purchasing USA specimens and prepared in USA fossils only, lol (which often cost up to 10x more as same quality from Morocco).  ;)

You don't need to buy "expensive museum grade specimens" (although I'm not sure what you mean by expensive and what cheaper, for some 30$ is already expensive for a Moroccan specimen), but perhaps just start with more common and non-spiny species (instead of looking for a bargain Dicranurus) and take your time to see different fossils in offers... No need to limit your search to UK either. 

PM me, I can send you some bits I’ve found here in the U.K.  

re Morocco, you can get some nice teeth for not much money providing they’re not too big. Cheap and big in Morocco is to be wary of. You can get mosasaur, spinosaur, otodus even pterosaurid teeth for £20 or so. 

15 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

PM me, I can send you some bits I’ve found here in the U.K.  

re Morocco, you can get some nice teeth for not much money providing they’re not too big. Cheap and big in Morocco is to be wary of. You can get mosasaur, spinosaur, otodus even pterosaurid teeth for £20 or so. 

Thanks.

Have sent you a pm

At this stage I am limiting myself to fish, Ammonites and Trilobites. 

I prefer to collect whole creatures rather than just a bone or tooth etc. 

That will probably change in the near future :)

I will prob get to grips with those groups of interest first

And then expand my collection.