Mystery fossil (dinosaur? Cretaceous?)

Darwin and Wallace

Hey all,

Can anyone help me ID this fossil? It was found at an antique store with no information. Its density and coloration really reminds me of something from out west, like Hell Creek or Lance Creek. There's also a a semi-circle pattern of holes towards one end that reminds me of a crocodile's bite. Any thoughts on the possible ID or if its something besides a croc bite?

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Hi, how do you feel it in hand, heavy or light ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Looks like part of a limb bone.

I don't think the holes are predation marks. I think they are either just the interior of the bone poking through where the bone surface has been worn down, or possibly bore holes from invertebrates digging into the bone.

• I found this Informative 6

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hell Creek was a flood plain adjacent to the Western Interior Seaway wasn't it ? Could these holes be the work of bivalves ?

• I found this Informative 1

@Rockwood, I wouldn't doubt it. Considering I can't narrow down a dinosaur (though still possible I suppose) for this bone, I'm wondering if it may be from a marine animal.

Im jealous, i would be so glad to find such a bone. The only bone i found while fossil Hunting was a jaw and some teeth from a modern rodent.:envy:

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

33 minutes ago, Darwin and Wallace said:

@Rockwood, I wouldn't doubt it. Considering I can't narrow down a dinosaur (though still possible I suppose) for this bone, I'm wondering if it may be from a marine animal.

It would pass for pachyostic, wouldn't it ?

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It would pass for pachyostic, wouldn't it ?

I suppose it could. To me it seems just as dense as any other fossil bone from the region, so I'm not sure I could tell. Perhaps its evident in one of the images that shows the exposed osteons?

19 minutes ago, Darwin and Wallace said:

Perhaps its evident in one of the images that shows the exposed osteons?

I'm not sure we have a section that would be that indicative. My thought springs from expectation that the area to the lower left in the last photo would be hollowing instead of more dense in a land animal. Could be a stretch all right.

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Hey Dude-

The preservation sure looks Lancian.  But I am having a heckuva time IDing what bone it could be.  

Yeah I've had the same reaction by other experts too. Very strange. Think it could be marine?

Scapula (A, B) and humerus (C, D) of Lemmysuchus obtusidens (Andrews, 1909) comb. nov., NHMUK PV R 3168, holotype. Scapula in (A) lateral and (B) medial views; humerus in medial (C) and lateral (D) views. Refer to the main text for the abbreviations list. Scale bar: 5 cm. 

It looks like a scapula because of the way it flares at the lower end.  This is picture of  a  Teleosauridae scapula (A and B).  Not an exact match but convey's the idea.  I agree that the holes are borings and not teeth marks.

• I found this Informative 2

I'm definitely leaning towards some sort of dinosaurian limb bone..

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

@Darwin and Wallace on the second picture (near upper right corner, left side of the bone), there seems to be a big "hole"/more hollow section by the end of the bone. Can you get some more photos of that? And perhaps some pictures taken directly from the side, above, in front and below? 

On 12/7/2018 at 8:51 PM, fifbrindacier said:

Im jealous, i would be so glad to find such a bone. The only bone i found while fossil Hunting was a jaw and some teeth from a modern rodent.:envy:

Come to the Netherlands one day and I will take you to the Zandmotor. Plenty of bone there! (no dinosaurs tho :P)

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

If the substrate is considered to be lithified, the circular - to subcircular borings might be considered pholad borings, otherwise not.
The other ones, in the picture below, might be attachment scars or encrustation marks.

IMG_0099.JPG.647ad5f94cab39a53ada07a341eb0993.JPG.cb9c6cfa871ae8a75e3755717b376543.JPG

In my thinking, the specimen may came from saltwater.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library