Allosaurus?

Yasei

Definitely not an allosaurus but someone on the forum should be able to id. Can you please provide a location on the tooth? It looks like a mosasaur tooth however can't comment any further.

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

maybe Mosasaur tooth crown

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This is a typical Moroccan Mosasaur tooth. Likely from the Khouribga area. And of Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous age.

So not a dinosaur but an aquatic lizard.

Loose teeth like these are hard to identify to the genus level.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I second LordTrilobite, the tooth is actually a fairly common small mosasaur tooth from Khouribga, Morocco.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I have attached a link of an Allosaurus tooth in my possession.  I hope you can see some differences between this one and the one you own.

That seems rather deceptive for a store to sell this as an allosaurus tooth. Vendors should require a little bit of background knowledge to give to customers who want to buy a piece, whether that be a gemstone or fossil before they buy it believing it's something it isn't.

I wouldn't call it a bummer, this is a really good quality tooth, and the mosasaurus was the closest thing to a sea monster

2 hours ago, Yasei said:

I wouldn't call it a bummer, this is a really good quality tooth, and the mosasaurus was the closest thing to a sea monster

That's a nice silver lining to the situation, a fossil is a fossil after all! What people are getting at is that the shop you bought this from seems to be spreading misinformation about this tooth's identity. Whether or not there was any malicious intent is debatable, but you want to be buying from somewhat reputable sources. 

• I found this Informative 1

I do trust that shop, Most of the fossils they sell look like the real thing, but the girl at the cash register said that a she had a Trex tooth that was really a carchyadontosaurus tooth in my eyes, I just think the person working there today was a bit misinformed in the subject if fossils, she knew lots about gems though, she should just study her fossils more in my opinion.