FranzBernhard

Some Fossils from the Plabutsch-Formation of the Palaeozoic of Graz, Styria, Austria (Devonian – Eifelian)

Innocentx

@FranzBernhard. Very pretty corals and stromatoporoids, and I think the dark gray green material is quite beautiful contrast to the fossils.

Barby

These are just awesome--and great pix, too!

Wrangellian

More nice ones, and as already stated, the photography is great. Are you using scanner? Of course I don't know what color they are in real life but you're doing a good job considering the old laptop screen.

FranzBernhard
2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

More nice ones, and as already stated, the photography is great. Are you using scanner? Of course I don't know what color they are in real life but you're doing a good job considering the old laptop screen.

Thanks! Yes, for the polished ones I am using a very old flatbed scanner.

The scanner pics are ok colorwise (grey on my screen, with some brownish in between). The photos of the other specimens, which I take with a scrapy, cheap camera and an incandescent lamp, all have a slight reddish tint. But this doesn´t really matter to me, and my color perception isn´t very good at all.

Franz Bernhard

Wrangellian

I've gotten similar results with my scanner, on flat/cut rocks, but you're getting much better results with your camera_incandescent light (if they are among those I've seen in your recent posts) than I get with mine, and it wasn't cheap. Incandescent and fluorescent lights always make my photos way too false-colored.

FranzBernhard

Another one of the most abundant corals from the Plabutsch-formation. This specimen is rather nicely weathered outside (you can get a glimpse of it at the upper right corner), but it was unfortunately scratched by earth-moving equipment. So I had to cut and polish it and it turned out ok.

FavositesStyriacus_HoheRannach_AN4157_kompr.thumb.jpg.a2e493723779beed6158d90fe689afa0.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Tidgy's Dad

These do look so great cut and polished. :)

I normal like natural stuff, but these are beautiful and, of course, sections are needed for accurate id. 

FranzBernhard
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

These do look so great cut and polished.

Thanks!

I am living on two opposite sides: I like total natural fossils - or flat cut and polished ones ;).

Btw, these polished goniatites and orthocerids from morocco are very nice, but I don´t like the way they are shaped. I would only like them, if they were flat cut... But I have never seen one!

Franz Bernhard

Tidgy's Dad
3 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks!

I am living on two opposite sides: I like total natural fossils - or flat cut and polished ones ;).

Btw, these polished goniatites and orthocerids from morocco are very nice, but I don´t like the way they are shaped. I would only like them, if they were flat cut... But I have never seen one!

Franz Bernhard

20190220_124916.thumb.jpg.d06a0a5cb577d25a7205c992129abaa5.jpg

FranzBernhard

Thanks, @Tidgy's Dad, that´s the way I like it, beautiful! (except, you know... ;))

Franz Bernhard

Tidgy's Dad

20190220_123840.thumb.jpg.a24889218eb2d776722e436514729288.jpg

Wrangellian

Wow! Love it. To go with it they need a rough piece with the fossils prepped out in 3D. Not polished, but prepped out, with their outer surfaces intact, right? There's something you never see...