Maybe 2018's last fossil hunt in Japanese late cretaceous

David in Japan

9 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Looks like good places to hunt with nice countryside and waters. Have you found the little crab fossils where you hunt?

Impressive scaphopod

Thank you.  No crab from this formation in my collection.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice scenery nice weather and good fossils, What else could one ask for!

Thanks for sharing the adventure.

Thank you.

A belgian beer perhaps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

16 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Then I moved my favorite place in Kumamoto where you can see Himenoura lower formation.

The weather wasn't really great, very windy and cold but the light was perfect for fossil hunting.

I saw there a lot of fossils inside the formation (that I had to leave to there cruel fate as it is strictly forbidden to take something from the formation),

and found only few fossils among the rocks on the beach but nice ones.

Do they make specific formations illegal to collect in?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

That Inoceramus is gorgeous, David!  Congratulations on a good hunt - thanks for taking us along!

5 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Do they make specific formations illegal to collect in?

There are some formation protected under the cultural asset law like the mifune group upper formation where fossil hunting is prohibited. If you do not have a permit it is a felony but you can still ask for a permit.

And there are the national park 国立公園 (kokuritsukoen) where everyting is prohibited and where getting permits is a pain in the even for japanese researchers.

Asked multiple times to local museums and researchers about rules and they all confirmed me to that when hunting, do not go close to the formation, never show your hammer and only take rocks that felt from the formation. If taken with an hammer you are risking really big as japanese law is different (Kind of guilty unless you can prove you aren't and 99% of the cases are closed with confessions).

Anyway if you want to fossil hunt in japan be extra careful even if you are not doing something wrong.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for the report. Glad to see you could get out again for a hunt.

Thank you! It is a relief for me too. I was forced to stay at home for too long and was just About to wish someone burn my home to the ground so i can go outside.:(

27 minutes ago, Monica said:

That Inoceramus is gorgeous, David!  Congratulations on a good hunt - thanks for taking us along!

Thank  you, love it too. It still have a kind of black nacre on it. Really cool to look.

• I found this Informative 1

On 9.12.2018 at 12:52 PM, David in Japan said:

Anyway if you want to fossil hunt in japan be extra careful even if you are not doing something wrong.

Thanks for the infos about collecting in Japan!

And again I am very glad that I am living in Austria...

Franz Bernhard