RB's Ammonite Prep Thread

RJB

Well,,,,,, its been awhile since ive made any ammo prep post.   Ive got a few in my garage that I will be working on in the next few weeks along with some my son is working on too. 

RB

Here is a Hoploscaphites nicoletti.  Gots some problems but looks to be a really nice one with some of that truly outstanding color!!!  I didnt take a 'before' picture but have already removed a ton of rock!!!

DSCN0312.JPG.f1b4fd4619f89edc93df6fa4454856e3.JPG

I have turned the rock and my forefinger is on the nicoletti in the 1st picture.  Here you can see another nicoleti that is preserved in a totaly different state of preservation, but still quite nice!!!  Along with some other ammo's. 

DSCN0313.JPG.fa7e083199865a8f1015a49abe5e1603.JPG

Ok, can anyone guess what that foamy stuff is?  Its one of my long time prep secrets!  I just might let the cat out of the bag.  

DSCN0314.JPG.4e379f22af1734a4725824257a8908cc.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Gorgeous!:wub:

this is the first I’ve seen this thread. I like how you’re making pedestals for them out of the matrix.

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Gorgeous!:wub:

this is the first I’ve seen this thread. I like how you’re making pedestals for them out of the matrix

Yeah, havent posted on this thread since May. and yeah, most folks do not take the time or find the material to use the matrix itself to make a stand.  

RB

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Well,,,,,, its been awhile since ive made any ammo prep post.   Ive got a few in my garage that I will be working on in the next few weeks along with some my son is working on too. 

OK!!!.. passing along the skills and secrets.. How is the student progressing compared to the master?  Love the nicoletti.. I can already imagine how fantastic this one is going to come out.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

These things are mighty fragile and im having to stop and glue all the time but I can see its worth it.  Even though these ammo's are beat up a bit, they are still super gorgeous!!!  Still gots a ways to go but the more I work on this the better it gets!!!   If you look at the 2nd picture above you can see the start of an ammonite. This picture is that ammo.  This rock it turning out to be quite the nice multi block!

RB

DSCN0315.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

On 10/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, RJB said:

Ok, can anyone guess what that foamy stuff is?  

Baking soda & vinegar or hydrogen peroxide? Or maybe even.... 

3249063.gif

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:25 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

What, no feedback on the guesses as to the identity of your hoof and mouth foam on the earlier pic?

I will try and get to that later today?  :)

RB

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I'm beginning to think he's just shining us on...

Ive been racking my brain to try and figure out a way to explain this!?  I really need a short video to make it very simple.  

RB

• 4 months later...

Been working up a storm on my fossil fishes and making barnwood frames for some, but today I got about to working on an ammo rock from South Dakota that I had high hopes for.  It was a double ammo rock.  the big one is a male spedini and the smaller one that you can barley see is nicoleti.  The smaller one came into some major problems and the spedini ended up also with too many problems.  Ive already asked my youngest some to come and get it out of my way.  He's purty happy.  Im too spoiled. 

RB

DSCN0542.JPG

16 hours ago, Randyw said:

You’re not happy with that beautiful thing? :DOH::default_faint::P

For a South Dakota ammonite, that's an ugly cuss. I'd still take it, but I don't have the ammonites that Ron has. I still need to figure out a bribe big enough to get his youngest son to relinquish one of his gem grade ammonite concretions.