RB's Ammonite Prep Thread

RJB

I did another ammonite hunting trip to South Dakota this last September with my youngest son and we brought home a ton of rock.   Last week my son came over and we got to work.  He set up my tile saw with some hot water and I started marking rock where it needed to be cut.  We cut a lot of crab concretions too but thats for another thread.  I have to say it was a very fun day but now I have my work cut out for me,  pun intended.  There is some easy stuff to prep and of course some harder stuff to prep.  I will start with an easy one.  

This little ammonite came apart and part of the living chamber was on the opposing piece of rock.  I marked that hunk of rock, my son cut it and after it had dried I glued it back on and after 24 hours I scribed off the rock and WaaaaLaaaaa!!   This piece is still not done.  Im going to cut off a bunch more rock and finish it up so it stands nice and is still in part of the matrix.  I believe this is Discoscaphites conradi found in the Fox Hills Formation and is Cretaceous in age.

RB

DSCN1971.JPG

DSCN1982.JPG

DSCN1983.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

My son was in the creek when he found this.  Threw it up on the bank where I was sittin, whacked it with a sledge hammer and this is what he ended up with.  He broke open about 2 tons of rocks but this was the only one he mentioned that he wanted to keep.  I did a little prep in it to make it 'pop'!     This is Sphenodiscus from the Fox Hills Formation.  

RB

DSCN1980.JPG

DSCN1981.JPG

• I found this Informative 14

Besides some rocks being far too large for the tile saw we still ended up with some rather large stuff that needed to be clamped and glued.    Here are two ammonites that I really hope turn out well after prepping. 

These first 2 pics are of a nicoleti and the other 2 pics are of a Scaphites spedini.  My fingers are crossed.

RB

DSCN1975.JPG

DSCN1976.JPG

DSCN1977.JPG

DSCN1978.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Ron prep thread! :D

Love the Sphenodiscus! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Those prep works are amazing! :yay-smiley-1:

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Much more (virtual) popcorn to be eaten! I love the amazing preservation of those Scaphitids and the Sphenodiscus. Can’t wait to see the rest! :popcorn:

Allright everybody.  Ive got a few hours into the Scaphites spedini.  Ive transfered a lot of shell but you can see its a bit beat up.  I may have to give it a little help in the end.  Ive got a very long ways to go on this but right now im waiting on my son to do some more rock cutting on this to save me scribe time, and lots of it.  Im also hoping the opposite side is going to be an easier job than this side!?   But all in all, this is really fun. 

Ive added another photo so you can see just how much shell material has been transfered. 

RB

DSCN1986.JPG

DSCN1977.JPG

Edited by RJB
needed another photo
  • I found this Informative 6

Peak-a-boo, I see you!  Looking very nice Ron!

BTW I always find the background to your photos so interesting.  All kinds of drool-inducing things just laying around there. :drool:

Don

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/8/2018 at 9:09 AM, RJB said:

This little ammonite came apart and part of the living chamber was on the opposing piece of rock.  I marked that hunk of rock, my son cut it and after it had dried I glued it back on and after 24 hours I scribed off the rock and WaaaaLaaaaa!! 

It is fasinating that they may come broken, OR you can break them,  and a little RJB magic and WaaaaLaaaaa!! .

As others have said , I am going to enjoy this thread !!!!!  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

incredible prepjobs :D

Keep up this excelent work 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I can't help but keep going back to this picture and coveting my neighbor's ammonite.

Even I,,, the Great RONALDO other wise the RB likes this one too. 

On 12/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, FossilDAWG said:

BTW I always find the background to your photos so interesting.  All kinds of drool-inducing things just laying around there. 

I call it laziness cause I really dont clean up after each prep project.  But thanks man

RB

My son, who is a roofer, called it a day early cause of the wind.  Lots and lots of wind today but my son came over and did lots more cutting.   A lot of fun really.   Believe you me, this cutting saves many many hours of scribe time!    he also brought over a rock that he did a bit of prep on,,,,,,,,  Holy Moly!!!  More on this ammo later.  Anyways, I marked this spedini rock and I was scared cause im so used to doing everything myself.  My son said not to worrie and he says he is really good at it.  Gave me some confidence. Worked out really good.  Gots a long ways to go, but by golly its gettin there! 

RB

DSCN1990.JPG

DSCN1991.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Ok, my son came over today and brought over a milk crate thingy with rocks from our last trip to South Dakota.  When he brought this one out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was heart attack time.  These ammo's do not get much better than this!!!  The color which you cant see is absolutly amazing!!!  This is gem quality!!!    I could see my son getting excited cause i was so excited.   I drew some ruff pics on paper to show him what he should do to prep this and he seemed to understand perfectly.   A nice feeling.  I cannot tell you just how nice this specimen is.  I know you cant ask for prices here in the Fossil Forum, but I dont need to.  Once this beauty is done prepped it will be worth around $600.  These little Fox Hills ammo's dont get much better than this!!!

RB

DSCN1992.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

How big of a rock saw are you using

Ive got a 10 inch tile saw and a 12 inch rock cutting saw. 

RB

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Ok, my son came over today and brought over a milk crate thingy with rocks from our last trip to South Dakota.  When he brought this one out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it was heart attack time.  These ammo's do not get much better than this!!!  The color which you cant see is absolutly amazing!!!  This is gem quality!!!    I could see my son getting excited cause i was so excited.   I drew some ruff pics on paper to show him what he should do to prep this and he seemed to understand perfectly.   A nice feeling.  I cannot tell you just how nice this specimen is.  I know you cant ask for prices here in the Fossil Forum, but I dont need to.  Once this beauty is done prepped it will be worth around $600.  These little Fox Hills ammo's dont get much better than this!!!

RB

DSCN1992.JPG

You’re killing me!!! That is stunning.