Respirators

LiamL

I have one called

7 in 1 Original 3M 6800 Full Facepiece Reusable Respirator full face Gas Mask
Is this good enough? I often prep material with pyrite so want to be sure.

res.jpg.6589902d1c800f30d0f56c2bfc1b965e.jpg

Also how often should i change the filters? 
Thanks

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

26 minutes ago, Heteromorph said:

This thread might help you:

Thanks, i've read through that before. Just reread it. 

Ptychodus04 Do you think my mask is decent for protection? It cost £40 if that matters, and how will i know if the filters need replacing?

@LiamL, that mask will work for sure. Make sure you have NIOSH P100 combo filter cartridges. They filter 99% of particulates .3 microns and larger and are good for VOC and acid vapors.

The 3M filters you want have a pink plastic cover. Amazon has them HERE

The frequency of filter change depends on your use. I change mine every 6 months or so because I do a fair amount of prepping.

• I found this Informative 5

16 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@LiamL, that mask will work for sure. Make sure you have NIOSH P100 combo filter cartridges. They filter 99% of particulates .3 microns and larger and are good for VOC and acid vapors.

The 3M filters you want have a pink plastic cover. Amazon has them HERE

The frequency of filter change depends on your use. I change mine every 6 months or so because I do a fair amount of prepping.

Do you know the UK alternative of them cartridges? They all seem to be from USA.

• I found this Informative 1

If you are concerned about particulates, replace them if they become physically damaged or soiled beyond your tolerance, or physically won't let enough air through. They will retain smaller and smaller particles as they are used.  Filters that chemically remove contaminants such as charcoal have a functional life that should be marked on the packaging.

Brent Ashcraft

• I found this Informative 2

ashcraft, brent allen

3 hours ago, ashcraft said:

If you are concerned about particulates, replace them if they become physically damaged or soiled beyond your tolerance, or physically won't let enough air through. They will retain smaller and smaller particles as they are used.  Filters that chemically remove contaminants such as charcoal have a functional life that should be marked on the packaging.

Brent Ashcraft

Yes, mine are 3 months after opening. I sling them after a month or so, cheap enough if you buy in bulk. 

15 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Yes, mine are 3 months after opening. I sling them after a month or so, cheap enough if you buy in bulk. 

Where abouts do you buy bulk from? :fingerscrossed:

My last lot came from online. By the way you can get reusable pads to go in filter units which would make it cheaper for you. No good for me as I use for chemicals too. Go to the U.K. 3M website and speak to someone, they’re really helpful. :) 

49 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

My last lot came from online. By the way you can get reusable pads to go in filter units which would make it cheaper for you. No good for me as I use for chemicals too. Go to the U.K. 3M website and speak to someone, they’re really helpful. :) 

Thanks i've just sent them emailed them now. 

Today i've just invested in an Air Purifier for my room where i store fossils in the cabinet, just for peace of mind.

cool.png