A Wander through a Colorful Landscape

DeepTimeIsotopes

Now that the weather has officially snowed me in. I’ve gotten around to posting some trips I took during the summer. At request of my friend, I won’t reveal the exact location of this area but if you know where this is you know there’s abundant petrified wood. I can say it’s close to Capitol Reef National Park (definitely not in the park :ighappy:).  

Here’s the stratigraphic column for the area.

The petrified wood we were looking for were in the Petrified Forest member and the Shinarump conglomerate member. DD3D1700-F4F5-4914-81BA-8FB2B69D78BF.thumb.jpeg.c7de591ff20a996042a1dabacc8bfe87.jpeg

The area is a long hike in. So even though we saw abundant wood, we could only take what we physically could carry for a couple miles with our camp gear.

• I found this Informative 4

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

First a look at the (fossil-less) Navajo Sandstone. It can make these interesting shapes.DBD923D7-0CC6-47A8-AAB8-D2F43A40C883.thumb.jpeg.c708cf56aba80659062972cb76485c37.jpeg

The black is streaks from minerals being leached out of the overlying layer and then deposited on the surface of the Navajo.

• I found this Informative 8

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

First we looked at the unnamed tuffaceous beds (locally known as the Flagstaff limestone). There’s a giant fault that runs through it and we wanted to see the structures it created. We were not disappointed. Here is a rock called fault breccia. This is when a fault breaks up the rock so much that groundwater can flow through it and deposit minerals such as calcite or quartz. BFDE98D6-6FAF-437B-898E-54FE5885DACF.thumb.jpeg.55c4bba27284cbd4f3349407528decad.jpeg

Here’s a look at the Navajo and Flagstaff Limestone at a distance. 

CA54B5A9-475F-4A02-83A5-425B937F2740.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Standing atop the Flagstaff Limestone

203D7FEF-1701-4759-927A-F96E45D07901.png

• I found this Informative 7

Some of the Carmel Formation 

7FF3DC74-D90A-4430-BBAA-B00FCD278C8C.jpeg

C0D4E870-A22E-4706-81D1-B72C9FD5CAE6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Now for the area we’ll be hunting in

The Chinle Formation with green bentonite beds.

07F7156A-74AF-4F36-9BEA-D85B9426EDCA.jpeg

Down in the valleyB4E824F4-7A12-4B8E-AC6B-415EF4AC0AEF.thumb.jpeg.f801f19b57fb72237533f22088518cbb.jpeg

Here we find the Petrified Forest member which we find is very aptly named. Absolutely gorgeous wood.

97528B87-FD1F-4747-9F0B-B66D4E24DCBF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Very abundant wood

ECB6F3A8-B265-4FC1-9388-A9A36F77503B.jpeg

6D975334-FE6B-46D8-9E69-93FF0B3C7421.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

Just piles and piles

03613F11-E457-4468-83B6-8B97441B9A89.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

The Petrified Forest member is easy. The Shinarump Conglomerate is considerably harder. 

82AD7214-8269-498A-B6CA-67BDDE4DE8E5.jpeg

We did manage to find some in the Shinarump though. It has a lot smaller wood. The largest piece is the biggest we found in this layer.

025D91BE-8A8C-4340-B483-B49971D065E8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

I will end off things with this panoramic pic.

Thanks for reading!

D9C714BD-A1B6-4DCC-A51E-CB9555DD89EC.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

I would love to go there! 

When you get to Utah, give me a ring and we’ll have a good hunt.:dinothumb:

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Beautiful landscapes indeed,  very good photos. :dinothumb: Thank you .

Thank you! It’s easy to photograph but not easy to hike especially in the bowl where it was 110°F (44°C)!:ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1

Lovely report with some breathtaking pictures! :)

Lots of lovely wood for the winter fireplace. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely report with some breathtaking pictures! :)

Lots of lovely wood for the winter fireplace. 

Thanks for sharing. 

When the wood has turned to rock, it makes it a little harder to carry back to the campfire.:P

Nice report!

Thanks for posting this. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice report!

Thanks for posting this. :) 

Thanks! It’s fun to share my hunts with you guys.

10 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

When the wood has turned to rock, it makes it a little harder to carry back to the campfire.:P

But worth it. 

It's much slower burning than regular wood. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

But worth it. 

It's much slower burning than regular wood. 

Even longer than coal at this point.:hearty-laugh: