A Wander through a Colorful Landscape

DeepTimeIsotopes

9 minutes ago, michele 1937 said:
thanks for the photos.
I was 10 years ago.
wonderful places

My pleasure!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

On 12/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, KimTexan said:

I keep trying to figure out some device I could rig up to carry in with me which has big wheels to cover rough terrain so I can haul more stuff out. Sounds like you could use one too.

It already exists so something that can be adapted. 

Hunting game cart

I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity something with more ground clearance could be had...like off road bike wheels maybe.

1 hour ago, Adam86cucv said:

It already exists so something that can be adapted. 

Hunting game cart

I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity something with more ground clearance could be had...like off road bike wheels maybe.

That could work with some tiedowns or something to keep the rocks on like a bucket. 

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

1 minute ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

That could work with some tiedowns or something to keep the rocks on like a bucket. 

Couple of eye bolts would be easy to add for tiedowns or maybe make some sides out of tubing or angle iron to make it closer to an off-road wheelbarrow.  

47 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

Couple of eye bolts would be easy to add for tiedowns or maybe make some sides out of tubing or angle iron to make it closer to an off-road wheelbarrow.  

Maybe even some window netting or 1/4 inch hole chicken wire. Now we’re onto something.:ighappy:

Splendid Southwestern vistas. I'd love to visit that area also. Maybe someday.

I had no idea there was still that much good pet wood to be found there. I have a piece of what I think is Chinle wood, but not certain at all (acquired from an old rockhound who didn't/couldn't tell me where it came from).

For collecting larger amounts of rock, I use an old baby stroller... It's not perfect but it works for my local area, for a certain amount of rock. My main concern is to carry fragile shale fossils out, for which a backpack is not suitable, but this rig does help to carry weight that I wouldn't want to carry by hand or on my back. I can see that 2-wheeled thing above getting tiresome, as you'd still be holding up some of the weight instead of putting 100% of your effort into pushing it laterally over the ground. Maybe a 3rd wheel added?

buggy.jpg.1ee8c6f251bdb7ef82b87bdb55ff0895.jpg

On 12/8/2018 at 10:59 PM, UtahFossilHunter said:

I actually haven’t been to many of the national parks because I can’t bring myself to go to an area where I can’t bash on the rocks looking for fossils.

I hear ya there! Seems like a lot of the best fossil sites are in parks.

• I found this Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Splendid Southwestern vistas. I'd love to visit that area also. Maybe someday.

I had no idea there was still that much good pet wood to be found there. I have a piece of what I think is Chinle wood, but not certain at all (acquired from an old rockhound who didn't/couldn't tell me where it came from).

For collecting larger amounts of rock, I use an old baby stroller... It's not perfect but it works for my local area, for a certain amount of rock. My main concern is to carry fragile shale fossils out, for which a backpack is not suitable, but this rig does help to carry weight that I wouldn't want to carry by hand or on my back. I can see that 2-wheeled thing above getting tiresome, as you'd still be holding up some of the weight instead of putting 100% of your effort into pushing it laterally over the ground. Maybe a 3rd wheel added?

I hear ya there! Seems like a lot of the best fossil sites are in parks.

There’s still pockets here and there of petrified wood. Maybe one of these with a larger basket and the child’s seat removed. FCC89495-6CBB-49A9-A0BB-1C79DFD59924.jpeg.88a98394d4a384129060ddc93162ee49.jpeg

In the case of Grand Staircase-Escalante, all the fossils are there because that’s the purpose of the monument.:ighappy:

Yes - I knew there would be something like that, with 3 large wheels. Stripped of unnecessary parts, as I did with mine, and maybe refitted with more sturdy boxes or what-have-you for the large chunks.

Of course, a few parks are established specifically for the fossils, but many are not!