Fossil du Jour

PaleoNoel

Hey everyone, I thought it would be interesting if a thread was made for fossils we have found most recently whether that be in situ and posted the day after the trip or if you find something new while going through matrix or concretions you may have brought home. 

I'll start it off, here is a snail and baculites I found today when cracking into some of my Pierre shale material from Wyoming.

IMG_E3423.thumb.JPG.ba632df854acf9c39e9ab181ebb4a849.JPG 

IMG_E3420.thumb.JPG.b59c879fb6387dfc02252fffce8790c7.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Good idea - tomorrow I think I'll go through some Chalk 'washout' matrix, and will post what I find in this thread :) 

Nice Pierre Shale fossils, by the way!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

36 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Good idea - tomorrow I think I'll go through some Chalk 'washout' matrix, and will post what I find in this thread :) 

Nice Pierre Shale fossils, by the way!

-Christian

Thanks! Knew it was something I should post, and thought to myself "why not make a new thread in doing so"?

Yes, very good idea!

Pic from today, 13:51, some poor orthocerats (about six incl. impressions) from Eggenfeld north of Graz, Styria, Austria (Kötschberg formation, Eggenfeld member, Palaeozoic of Graz, uppermost Silurian).
Franz Bernhard

Eggenfeld_Orthocerat_1_08122018_kompr.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Very cool idea for a thread.. Will post once i've hunted over my break.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

My most recent find which was with @Earth Chemistry was this. We thought it was a gastropod but after consulting a local expert is actually a Silurian cephalopod! BF330A99-6CFF-4739-9881-60D6183161DA.jpegSee the trip report here:

• I found this Informative 7

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

42 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'll be out on a hunt tomorrow, I should have something for you then.

:popcorn:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

11 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

after consulting a local expert is actually a Silurian cephalopod!

Amazing find!!

-Christian

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

1 minute ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Amazing find!!

-Christian

Thanks! It was our only find that trip.:ighappy:

Fossil du jour and in my mind "Show and Tell'!

I like it!!

I'll be back!!!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Reineckeiinae collected today arround 5 pm on Callovian... a few more specimes will be clean tomorrow. Sorry for the low quality picture...

IMG_0049.JPG

Ps. Car from my 1973 Christmas 

• I found this Informative 5

12 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

A nice chunk of fossiliferous cherty material.

Wow where’d you get that?

Up on a hilltop, Permian. The chert holds such detailed fossils.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

My largest Sand Tiger tooth to date.  Just sitting on it's own private little beach surrounded by 3 foot mud walls on three sides and a precipitous drop into the river on the fourth.  I have no idea how I came to find it ... it just seems spooky sometimes ?  Maybe that's just me.

47382804_1209336265882794_6208449782705291264_n.thumb.jpg.aed79c6080b7fe4663879bb163ade725.jpg

01_SavannahGA_Carcharias_120418.thumb.jpg.70bc1fe218c30ad72fdbd39c99b9d168.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

And the last Reineckeiinae collected yesterday  on Callovian.

And four nice Brachiopoda collected yesterday on same spot.

ps.tech toy from my 1977 Christmas.

Thanks to Paleonoel for the topic and I didn´t resiste in have here some toys from my old Noel days.

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Went through some of the chalk matrix today, some little echinoderm and inoceramid bivalve bits were found... I'll post pictures within the next few days :) 

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Today I cleaned and glued this one from last Saturday field collect. Another large Macrocephalites sp. It was a good day for ammonites… 

IMG_0057.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Today I cleaned and glued this one from last Saturday field collect. Another large Macrocephalites sp. It was a good day for ammonites… 

IMG_0057.JPG

Nice find!

Ricardo, I notice you like to display your finds along with your other hobby of vintage tin toys. Sort of a duel show and tell. ;)

Yesterday's take. These are the whole ones minus the 15 or so real little ones. About the same quantity of broken/missing roots not shown.

Largest top left is 5cm.

Sorry, I was too tired last night to do any cleaning so these are my Fossil du Yesterday.

20181210_185106.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

20 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Yesterday's take. These are the whole ones minus the 15 or so real little ones. About the same quantity of broken/missing roots not shown.

Largest top left is 5cm.

Sorry, I was too tired last night to do any cleaning so these are my Fossil du Yesterday.

Hey that works for me, wonderful set of chompers! :meg: