First (serious) shark teeth hunt

LuckyDutch

Today I went for my first "serious" (ahum) shark teeth hunt.  Over the last few weeks I was keeping my eyes open while walking the beaches of Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms with my wife, but today it was "game on".  Left the house at 8:00AM and drove to Folly Beach as I had been reading that of the beaches closes to me that was the best to look for teeth. Weather was nasty, cold and windy.  Tide was still high but outgoing.  Hardly anybody on the beach. Spent approximately 3 hours without finding anything.  I was mainly looking in the accumulations of shells, seaweed, rocks, pottery higher up the beach. Saw one person picking up things at the waterline and decided to ask her what/how she was doing.  We had a friendly conversation.  I explained that it was my first time. She showed me a handful of small teeth that she found by looking for them as the shallow waves are rolling ashore.  I decided that, as I had nothing to lose, to follow her method/advice and started to look close to the waterline as well.  I do not think that more than 5 minutes passed before I found MY FIRST TOOTH EVER !!  I know that compared with what others here report it is not much, but for me it meant that I had succeeded in my quest.  Shortly after, I found a second one, but at that point the nasty conditions were taking their toll and I decided to call it a day.  I will be back. 

First shark tooth Folly  12_8_18.jpg

Folly  12_8_18.jpg

Folly 02  12_8_18.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Congratulations on finding your first teeth. Now that you know what to do you will be on your way to finding more. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

17 minutes ago, LuckyDutch said:

I decided that, as I had nothing to lose, to follow her method/advice and started to look close to the waterline as well.  I do not think that more than 5 minutes passed before I found MY FIRST TOOTH EVER !!  I know that compared with what others here report it is not much, but for me it meant that I had succeeded in my quest.  Shortly after, I found a second one, but at that point the nasty conditions were taking their toll and I decided to call it a day.  I will be back. 

Congrats !!! 

I will say that checking the tide charts and hitting the beach an hour or two before the tide is at it's lowest can be a good idea.  Around the pier there at Folly I've heard is usually a good bet.  Better yet it takes some training for your 'eye' to see the teeth in the surf and while walking.  If you are crusing at a good clip and you are standing upright you will usually spot anything beyond a 1/2 inch fairly easily ... sometimes if you want something smaller stooping or squatting down or slowing your roll to an old man shuffle with a slight stoop is best.  Trust me on this.

As an example .. I don't know how many times I've been on the river beaches next to folks skimming the sand and chat them up.  They tell me they've had no luck , and I tell them 'you guys just have to -->look<-- this beach is full of em !"

Sure enough I step back stoop down and pick up two  or three small teeth they had practically been standing on.  Just takes time if you are in the right spot.  Don't take that for granted even if you are not the 'first' person on the beach.  Thinking the person before you has -cleared it out- is utter hogwash.  Take your time, get in your old man stoop position and walk slowly.  No-one is a hoover vac, take your time and they will show up. 

You might also try Northbridge Park in Charleston .. some great stuff comes out of that spot.  Dredge material that is constantly being pushed around. Oligocene mostly.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Northbridge at low tide ... plenty of mud so be ready.

• I found this Informative 5

Congratulations LuckyDutch, now you are hooked!!   I have to agree with Brett, one of the most important things is to get your eyes adjusted to seeing the teeth. You can start with focusing on “black and shiny” and with a little time you will get adjusted to what you are looking for. Makes an already enjoyable pastime (walking the beach) even more fun!

Congratulations! 

So it begins. :)

With more experience, you will learn the best places to look, you will get your eye in and you will find many, many more! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congrats!  Can be an addicting hobby.  The advice given is excellent!  I might add that while low tide can be best (particularly for looking out in the water), in the waterline, I have always done better with incoming tide (small teeth are light, get uncovered or tumbled as the tide starts in).  Also two-thirds of the beach teeth I find are from seeing their roots; of course black and shiny is a great starting point, but many of the river beaches in Virginia have small pieces of pot metal, that can overwhelm the eye more than shell bits.  With experience, you will 'see' the teeth.  (Small children often can see better and are closer to the teeth, just their attention spans limit their hunting.)  Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.  I indeed tried to stay close to the ground, bending over a lot and to walk very slowly (I am not exactly an athlete anyway).  I started to notice the difference in how I was surveying the patches of promising beach at the start of my morning and later on.  I was getting a little bit more methodical and was spending more time at one spot.  Cannot wait to go back and check out the area closer to the pier, yesterday I stayed closer to the Folly Beach County Park (which during the summer can get get very crowded).   I will also certainly check out North Bridge.  Great suggestion!!

Congratulations.  The toughest part is over now that you found the first one.  Lots of great advice given above. Enjoy your new addiction.:meg:

I remember picking up my first tooth. What a feeling! Good luck on all your future expeditions.

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Nice find! That’s bigger than any tooth I’ve found! 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I remember my first time...

It was at Ernst West Quarry, I found about four little (1/2") teeth and was totally thrilled, the hook was set and I haven't looked back since!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG