Amber inclusion ID please

JohnBrewer

It looks most like an insect or beetle unless it is a Rorschach inspired inclusion. Top photo shows top of beetle; head on the lower right. Bottom photo shows underside with legs sticking out; head in lower right.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'm wondering what might be the surrounding pattern? :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I'm wondering what might be the surrounding pattern? :headscratch:

I think they’re fracture lines from the inclusion moving. Does that happen? I’ll upload another pic when on my laptop. 

7 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

I think they’re fracture lines from the inclusion moving. Does that happen? I’ll upload another pic when on my laptop. 

Wouldn't be fractures. The amber would have to be hardened for that & I don't think the bug would last that long. If you notice, most of it is flowing around it from front to sides, most likely caused by the bug trying to move in the resin. The dark lines could just be a small amount of dirt or a darker portion of the resin. Think waves & wake around a boat. Compressed at the front & spreading out along the sides as it flows back. I've got several pieces of Sumatran amber with some beautiful swirl patterns.

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

17 minutes ago, daves64 said:

If you notice, most of it is flowing around it from front to sides, most likely caused by the bug trying to move in the resin.

I would agree! :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library