Vacation Fossils

Kane

Our first full day of sun, sand, and surf in Jamaica bumped up against some fossils, and pseudofossils. 

In this area (St Ann’s Parish), more than 75% of the rock here is limestone spanning from the Cretaceous to periods in the Cenozoic. Not far from me is the Blue Mountains, the highest altitude on the island (we’re planning on a day trip to see the coffee cultivators and a 12 mile downhill bike ride). 

Given the abundance of limestone, it is no surprise that it features prominently in a lot of building material.

Here is some fossil coral in some large, raw blocks:

25921534-4977-42BA-84E2-0FA85EE5B7C9.jpeg

5CA7F72A-FABE-4122-A27A-2BCD700A40A7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Slabs of limestone are commonly saw-cut and used as tiling for pool decks and walkways. These gastropod cross-sections were quite neat and large. The second one was about 12 cm.

135ABCE5-D47A-4020-8EAB-B4600E91A21F.jpeg

AEC560C2-E57A-47BA-848B-1BCC3E6F0B3A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

And, of course, the fossil imposters. These are either clay moulds, or a form of cement with inclusions and patterns. The last one has a modern shell in section surrounded by plant leaf in radiating impression. 

Many more days here, and I hope to spend some time at a few limestone tailings sites nearby. That is much easier to do with a daiquiri in hand, of course. :D

FD08A801-FF63-4D01-949B-50E1B9E28F61.jpeg

A46CD37A-2BFC-40E7-ACB9-7D1495DD53AA.jpeg

950D436E-BB7D-4886-AC9E-11706F7D838A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Well that didn't take long for you to find some fossils!;)

Was there any doubt? :P

Pending a bit of luck, I’ll be able to get a healthy assortment to seed trades and gifts for those keen on these kinds of Caribbean fossils. 

Sun, sea, rum and fossil that is paradise indeed. I hope you have a great time and when you get home I hope you have a little Christmas gift from the uk waiting. All the best Bobby 

Couldn’t quite get away from the pool and ocean today, but a few more saw cut tiles...

Neat weathered coral, and a scleractinian:

D1ED7687-1186-45A3-A83F-3F1FC326DB89.jpeg

5B4CCEE2-9BD7-4306-88B2-5A9B3A4BB1F6.jpeg

16 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Neat! And those are just the tiles. Planning on getting into the raw stuff?

I hope so! It may require going off resort, which is not highly recommended, but currently trying to work something out. There’s also some light renovations going on where they have trucked in small piles of fresh limestone. No harm in me asking the workers if I can poke through some of it as long as I’m not in the way. 

Be careful no fossil is worth risking your life for though that would be a fun thread for a winter time discussion. 

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

14 hours ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Be careful no fossil is worth risking your life for though that would be a fun thread for a winter time discussion. 

Aye, solid advice. I’ve negotiated some hairy situations in some risky places in the past in some parts of the world, and being cautious is advice that is always in season. There are situations I know how to manage, but even so I ensure not to put my missus in danger. :) If the situation presents more than reasonable risk, it is not worth pursuing.

• 2 weeks later...

Slim pickings from the spoils pile; a few scleractinian coral with one piece that will clean up well when the dirt is removed: 

1533984B-28BC-4E0F-B250-DE7860577FC6.jpeg

AD114C13-380F-47BD-9830-DB9BB1A44AFC.jpeg

9BD34B8B-183F-474A-9BB8-BC61E737D7F6.jpeg

In situ along shoreline cliff. Some of the reef coral colonies are the size of a small car.

088FFC84-EC4D-4337-BBBA-96546AE081F4.jpeg

26153C7F-0649-474D-BA72-FC3FA8084626.jpeg

Sadly, there was no opportunity to organize an off-property dig trip, and no take home gastropod fossils were found. Still, some pretty cool reef fossils everywhere. Last pics are a nice chunk of coral fossil, with closeup.

BF12DA07-DC03-4FF9-973D-C81E0655EC6D.jpeg

A74060ED-E89C-46B6-A781-F3E02A83BA84.jpeg