Scute Of Some Sort

crinoid1

Hey for all you floridian guys out there, I need help with this one. I was told when I found it, that it was from a small extinct alligator, but that is all I know.

I found it in the peace river. Thanks :D

post-1774-12530630614286_thumb.jpg

post-1774-1253063075162_thumb.jpg

post-1774-12530630925724_thumb.jpg

post-1774-1253063117231_thumb.jpg

I like crinoids......

It's an alligator osteoderm (scute). As far as telling if its from an extinct alligator species or not...I wouldn't know. I would think it's Alligator mississippiensis (modern alligator) since its from the Peace, but somebody may correct me on that.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

actually, i think Alligator mississippiensis is required to change it's name to Alligator floridanensis within 30 days of moving into the state.

how come that osteoderm isn't tannin-stained black if it's from the peace?

actually, i think Alligator mississippiensis is required to change it's name to Alligator floridanensis within 30 days of moving into the state.

how come that osteoderm isn't tannin-stained black if it's from the peace?

In the place I found it, most of the fossils werent black, they were about that color

I like crinoids......

Guest Smilodon

I would think whoever told you that might be referring to Alligator olseni, which, in fact is a rather small miocene gator, but from the River of Peas? Not so sure.

I would think whoever told you that might be referring to Alligator olseni, which, in fact is a rather small miocene gator, but from the River of Peas? Not so sure.

'Smilodon' is correct . . . A. olseni is an Early Miocene species unlikely to be found in the Peace River. I believe that the later 'gators are all A. mississippiensis.

If this osteoderm was found in the Peace River and is not well-mineralized, it may be a recent 'gator.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived