Fossilized bone identification.

jonathan21s

I bought this fossilized bone at a flea market for my son. I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but would love to tell him more information about this piece. The original owner did not know what it was, other than suggesting it could be from a woolly mammoth. It measures about 4.5" x 3". The bottom is naturally completely flat with two smaller flat spots nearby. I'd love to learn more about what this could be, some other people have suggested dinosaur but I'm in Florida and I'm not sure if this piece is local or not.

IMG_4433 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4432 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4435 - Copy.JPG

I'm located in South Florida but I can not confirm if it's local. I do know that a lot of people go to the Peace River on the Florida west coast fossil hunting but it may not be from there.

This is just a guess, but it reminds me of this alligator/croc. limb bone that I unearthed at a quarry in SD. As I remember the end was pretty spongy looking.

IMG_3132b.jpg

IMG_3133b.jpg

Looks a lot like a probuscan metatarsal (toe bone) that has been eroded on one end. From Florida it would be probably columbian mammoth or mastodon. The flat end that is kind of triangular makes me think this. (Plus the size is about right)

Interesting. I was leaning towards mastodon since it's most likely from Florida. Thanks for the lead about it being a possible probuscan metatarsal (toe bone). I'll do more research with this info. Thanks! My son will love it.