Headed to Florida for Christmas

Jakuzi

Hi Everyone,

I’m headed to Jacksonville FL for Christmas and was looking to get into some fossil hunting somehow some way.  Looking for any recommendations within a 4 hour radius.  Paid guided hunt?  Popular creeks, beaches, or rivers? Would like to take my nieces out but if that’s not feasible then that’s ok. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Let me get in at least one response.  Jacksonville is tough... maybe only because I live in Fort Myers.

The Peace River at Fort Meade, Bowling Green is likely just within your 4 hour radius but that is a LONG day.  Fred Mazza of PaleoDiscoveries is a Fossil guide.  You can find him on the internet and should discuss possibilities. If you can manage the distances, Fred WILL find fossils for both you and your nieces.

There are likely others, but @Sacha will be more knowledgeable east of Orlando.

Good luck

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I believe Jacksonville Beach itself is a popular shark tooth hunting site, but aside from that there is the Peace River (which seems like a haul from Duval) and Gainesville which has a number of fossiliferous creeks within the town. If I recall, Hogtown Creek is the name of one. On the western shore of Florida there is venice beach and caspersen beach which are both well known destinations. Many choices in the great state of Florida and for a lot of the sites there is no need for a guide so it's easier on the pockets.

Hope this helps, there are many forum members with more knowledge than I and they'll have something to say I'm positive. I've only been along the peace river but I'm certain they'll tell you everything you need to know.

-PN

• I found this Informative 2

the beach near Jacksonville with the old fort has some shark teeth.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

As John said, Cris and Kyle are fantastic to hunt with! 

You can message Cris, or send one to Kyle, who is also a member here! @addicted2fossils 

You can also message them on Instagram, their account is @fossilvoyages 

I had a tour with them last Xmas in the Santa Fe River, and it was incredibly fun. They are super knowledgeable on the subject and will definitely put you on some of their best stuff. 

I also had a super fun time in the Peace River with some forum members here, so that's also a great place to go. 

Don't forget to look everywhere you drive, there are many spoils all around the state filled with beautiful fossil shells!

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

7 hours ago, Sacha said:

@Cris and Kyle do guided tours in the north end of the state. I think they would be your best bet. Send Cris a PM.

This gets me thinking that it might be a good idea under the "Locality" based forums to pin a thread on "fossil guided tour" connections in the areas people are likely to travel.

There are likely a set of problems but worth tossing around.

I know that if I was heading for Washington, or South Dakota, or Minnesota, I would love to have a possible set of local resources that I could tap to feed my fossil addiction. 

Probably a topic for a different thread...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

As John said, Cris and Kyle are fantastic to hunt with! 

You can message Cris, or send one to Kyle, who is also a member here! @addicted2fossils 

You can also message them on Instagram, their account is @fossilvoyages 

I had a tour with them last Xmas in the Santa Fe River, and it was incredibly fun. They are super knowledgeable on the subject and will definitely put you on some of their best stuff. 

I also had a super fun time in the Peace River with some forum members here, so that's also a great place to go. 

Don't forget to look everywhere you drive, there are many spoils all around the state filled with beautiful fossil shells!

Good luck!

4 hours ago, addicted2fossils said:

@Max-fossils @Sacha thanks so much for the kind words and spreading the word! We appreciate it :D

Yes Cris and Kyle came highly recommend by a friend and I have sent a message to @addicted2fossils.  Thanks! 

18 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

I believe Jacksonville Beach itself is a popular shark tooth hunting site, but aside from that there is the Peace River (which seems like a haul from Duval) and Gainesville which has a number of fossiliferous creeks within the town. If I recall, Hogtown Creek is the name of one. On the western shore of Florida there is venice beach and caspersen beach which are both well known destinations. Many choices in the great state of Florida and for a lot of the sites there is no need for a guide so it's easier on the pockets.

Hope this helps, there are many forum members with more knowledge than I and they'll have something to say I'm positive. I've only been along the peace river but I'm certain they'll tell you everything you need to know.

-PN

Thanks for the recommendations!  If combing the Jacksonville beach is my best option that’s what I’ll do but I’ll research these other areas you suggested as well.

11 hours ago, Sacha said:

@Cris and Kyle do guided tours in the north end of the state. I think they would be your best bet. Send Cris a PM.

I didn't know that! I'd better look into that next time I'm down there. They seem like they'd be fun to hunt with just based on their videos.