Isle of Wight tooth id

Haravex

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

This is were we miss Frank, i guess. :(

Does anyone know where he is I am rather concerned about him

• I found this Informative 2

Tooth looks to have some of the characteristics of a Baryonyx tooth (some wrinkled enamel, and ovular).  These teeth should look very similar to Suchomimus if you are familiar with those @Haravex.  One thing I would ask is how much restoration has been done to the tip?  Looking at the photos, seems to be a bit on the tip that gives it an irregular shape but still a big theropod tooth from the IOW and not too much to complain about :D 

29 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Does anyone know where he is I am rather concerned about him

Sounds like he is taking a much needed break after ID'ing hundreds, if not, thousands of fossils for us :D can imagine it gets very tiring. 

• I found this Informative 2

This Baryonyx belongs to a fellow fossil forum, and yes it is a Boy tooth.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I would say definitely Baryonyx. The only other predatory dinosaurs you will find on Isle Of Wight, is Neovenator and Eotyrannus. And their teeth look very different from this one, they are much more blade-like. The elongated shape, rounded form, and serrations show it's clearly a Baryonyx. 

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Sauroniops said:

I would say definitely Baryonyx. The only other predatory dinosaurs you will find on Isle Of Wight, is Neovenator and Eotyrannus. And their teeth look very different from this one, they are much more blade-like. The elongated shape, rounded form, and serrations show it's clearly a Baryonyx. 

Although I have heard that there is research being done and there is the possibility that there may be more than 1 Baryonchinae in the Wessex Formation. If I run across this reading again, I’ll post a link!

Baryonyx however possible restoration to the tip (notice the curvature on the tip). I refer you to photos below of a similar shaped Baryonyx tooth with no restoration for reference/comparison alongside pictures of the tooth that you have posted. Looking at the pictures, both teeth have granular/wrinkled enamel, longitudinal fluting and/or faceting, appear to show enamel smoothening out towards the carinae, serrations present etc. although the serrations on the tooth that you have posted aren't in as good condition and the fluting is not visible in particular on one side of the tooth or at least not obvious from the pictures that have been taken. I am pretty certain that the curvature of the tooth would be even more noticeable if the photos were taken from the top rather than at an angle as I can see that there are shadows present in the photos. As others have mentioned this tooth has been posted before on the forum so if you need to find additional pictures they can be found.

12819405_533310116829106_7166632436236607111_o.jpg12828309_533310143495770_5656142487342745880_o.jpg

received_280965505941907.jpeg.16aa332847fe0a0b50270690e0de71d7.jpg.f4f0d0fec93376a9b246bbc93bc79d62.jpgreceived_2277681145802133.jpeg.8a0cb553b58c04829c0ae8f990207e10.jpg.523efee08052296a1126986805893cd8.jpg

@Troodon recommended a good paper on identifying Baryonychine teeth that is worth a read if you would like to find out more information https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271217531_Recently_rediscovered_baryonychine_teeth_Dinosauria_Theropoda_New_morphologic_data_range_extension_similarity_to_Ceratosaurus

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png