Crinoid matrix preparation

kasnicks

Hi, 

Can you please help me with what I can do to restore/prepare parts of crinoid matrix that has eroded. This piece has been in the storage for several years wrapped up, and after taking it out for display, I have noticed small sections of the matrix started to come off in fine dust. What kind preparation is needed to seal/restore the light coloured exposed matrix surface to its original darker colour? Thanks in advance. 

photostudio_1544583415752.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Have you tried sealing it with butbar or Pva  or anything? You could probably prep that down a little more but it's a beautiful piece as is if you don't prep at all. At the very least though I would seal it with something if you haven't already or it will probably continue to slowly flake off.

• I found this Informative 2

@smt126,

Thanks for your response. Do you, by any chance, know what the specimen was most likely originally prepped with? Thanks!

20 hours ago, kasnicks said:

Hi, 

Can you please help me with what I can do to restore/prepare parts of crinoid matrix that has eroded. This piece has been in the storage for several years wrapped up, and after taking it out for display, I have noticed small sections of the matrix started to come off in fine dust. What kind preparation is needed to seal/restore the light coloured exposed matrix surface to its original darker colour? Thanks in advance. 

If this was packed, the color change is not an indication of weathering. Rather it is a breakdown of either the matrix or something that was out on the specimen to “seal” it. If there is a lot of iron in the matrix, it could be rust.

The least destructive way to remove the degradation would be micro-abrasion. Then, the whole thing needs to be consolidated with Paraloid.

• I found this Informative 2