Any good papers on the Great White Shark?

The Jersey Devil

Hello everyone,

I’m writing a paper on the great white shark. Can anyone recommend good reliable sources that touch on the topics of its evolution, diet/prey, reproduction, habitat range, lifespan, etc.?

Thanks a lot!

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

@The Jersey Devil When researching for writing about scientific subjects, I usually stray as far away from nonscientific sources as possible and mostly stick with scientific papers. Although a quick search on the web can get you reliable information on the most generic facts about the great white shark, specifics are not easy to find, if some types found at all.

Google Scholar is a google-based search engine that searches only scientific literature and some other sources that scientific papers have cited. Simply type "great white shark" or "carcharodon carcharias" and whatever specific about it you want and it search the scientific papers related to them. Here's an example picture when I type "carcharodon carcharias ontogeny".

image.thumb.png.b19715119cacc0d9ace4aa5f88a24d50.png

However, Google Scholar will simply search for all the scientific literature available and I do not know if it has a filter for only open-access papers. If you are a university student, you should be able to get access to at least some of the paywalled papers. Otherwise, I would go to open access publishers like PLOSOne which is such that publishes only papers that are CC licensed (meaning totally free to get, distribute, adapt, anything as long as credit is given). There is also the Directory of Open Access Journals which searches for you every single open access and CC paper available online.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png