Ammonite necklace repair. Please help!

thelivingdead531

Last year, for my very first holiday time at work, I received a bottle of wine and an ammonite from Madagascar necklace from my secret Santa. The necklace was one of the best gifts I have ever received, hands down! I have worn it almost everyday for a year and today, sadly, I discovered that the ammonite is broken. :( It is still held together by the metal (outline?), but it is loose. I want to save this, as it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I have some Paraloid B72 that is 5% paraloid/95% acetone. Would this be useful if I was able to seal the outside of it? Please tell me I can save it so I can continue to wear it. I feel lost, especially at work, when I’m not wearing it. I’ve uploaded pictures of the breaks, but if there is any confusion please let me know and I can clarify. Thank you so much!

FCF612BA-9606-4006-8C7A-4CF5C5D7AD97.jpeg

F5F8D157-A36A-4F2A-BDCD-FAF3D19BC701.jpeg

286E491E-F3D7-44A3-8D5A-15977E8A4249.jpeg

47752DB6-8B54-42BC-B618-E24A665F1E75.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Dont worry Candice stabilize it first to make sure no more cracks happen, after that see if the pieces are still moving slightly lose I imagine the would be. This is the point you break our the super glue use small amounts if you have a syringe by the looks of the crack use a blue tip or lower to carefully drop the glue in place between the cracks and leave to set over night if not 48 hours. Let me know if you dont feel confident doing this, if thats the case as long as you pay postage i will fix and and send back for you.

Thanks Matt

• I found this Informative 9

35 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Dont worry Candice stabilize it first to make sure no more cracks happen, after that see if the pieces are still moving slightly lose I imagine the would be. This is the point you break our the super glue use small amounts if you have a syringe by the looks of the crack use a blue tip or lower to carefully drop the glue in place between the cracks and leave to set over night if not 48 hours. Let me know if you dont feel confident doing this, if thats the case as long as you pay postage i will fix and and send back for you.

Thanks Matt

:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I assume the side with the visible cracks is the "back" non-display aspect. If it were mine, I would sit down with good lighting, thin super glue and a sewing needle. I would run a bead of glue along each crack and use the needle to encourage it into the cracks. Wiping off the excess, I would let it cure at least overnight. One of the vugs on the display side appears cracked, so it is possible the superglue applied to the reverse might make its way to the display view. This would need monitoring to avoid ending up with a glue mess among the small crystals. Good luck, I hope it goes well for you and you are soon wearing it again.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with Snolly. I would use the thin prep of cyanoacrylate. The stuff sets in like 10 seconds. I use it on my fossils and ammonites all the time. I even take it in the field with me. 

You will need something like the needle to guide it into the cracks. You can get application tips that are very fine. If you get the thin prep of cyanoacrylate I’d practice with it once before applying it to your ammonite.

If using the thin cyanoacrylate I’m not sure I’d worry too much about it getting on the crystals. It goes on looking like clear nail polish on crystal surfaces. I’ve used it on crystals too and I can’t tell there is any glue there.

Something like this:

Starbond EM-02 Super Fast Thin, PREMIUM Instant CA (Cyanoacrylate Adhesive) Super Glue plus Extra Cap and Microtips, 2 oz. (For Woodturning, Pen Turning, Hobby, Stabilizing, Finish, Inlay) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C32ME6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LwifCbW23VBKZ

6F61172C-5369-47B9-AAA5-D5B1215DC9E6.thumb.png.d5d66c253827a7dab43b7cc3b46595da.png

I actually you Bob Smith brand and buy 8 oz bottles of it. The 8 oz bottle is $22 US dollars, but it doesn’t have all those thin tips.

Be careful to not glue your fingers. The stuff sets so quickly you can glue yourself to yourself or the item in under 20 seconds.

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you, everyone! This gives me hope that it is repairable and that I’ll be able to wear it again! 

• I found this Informative 1