Sign in to follow this  
doushantuo

an Ordovician impact in the usa

doushantuo

JGSL

The Winneshiek biota: exceptionally well-preserved fossils in a Middle Ordovician impact crater
 Derek E.G. Briggs, Huaibao P. Liu, Robert M. McKay and Brian J. Witzke
Journal of the Geological Society, 175, 865-874, 24 September 2018, https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2018-101

Cannot recommend this one highly enough  

size:about 8,5 MB

Note:the Ames impact straddles the Arbuckle/Simpson Boundary

minnbuckeye

@Tidgy's Dad, your Decorah shale specimens came from a spot directly on top of the impact crater. I wished I would have visited the site when the river was diverted and excavation underway. I was naïve back then. Hopefully future projects will allow me to see their work. Or maybe global warming will worsen flooding and allow the upper Iowa river to gouge into the Winneshiek Shale before I pass on. But for now, everything is back underground. @doushantuo, thanks for the article.

A figure from doushantuo's link:               Tidgy's Dad, your specimens came from along the upper Iowa River very close to where the excavation occurred.

jgs2018-101.01.png?Expires=1544969461&Signature=V0O5P-5kNUyp~pGhkYJSPwbQQJMlPNk~rLICP6LdOwr6LMXpM0VXFa64NGLZgBrhW01mJs7hFPL~nYqotmictTqvOzDAg8i67ouPZrwGcCjgPdJoCeol820B-jBnm5SqAIvppvxhluHWATObWtr-QzBlHDxT8I14MBCzZy~05viSWzlWL2N97ja6YLm5SPJ-ag0c6UynLqS4CiU0kFyUnFkbjfuPiCEA~aEpdqqBU~-1zItk5NI59TpET4Hprpk1-LCSA3ynLtrkk4RrWGPN~RtHx~xs6rcrcbXEIkXOSbC5ExV2JGVC~W4Um1DY~W1cGrKef7hCQmTBrxmpAy7onQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIE5G5CRDK6RD3PGA

Tidgy's Dad

Thanks, Ben @doushantuo, thanks Mike @minnbuckeye

Very interesting and useful. :)