Fossil shark tooth found on Baiting Hollow Beach NY

Adam86cucv

I actually have no idea what those professors were thinking. Megalodon? I think not. Definitley c.carcharias

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I've never really understood why the news would put on such a trivial story of someone finding a small fossil that's not that rare in the eyes of others. What about someone who found another 7-inch meg, why aren't they on the news? :blink:

Kudos to Carl for the correct ID, though

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Paleontology gets little enough mention in the news, why begrudge a reporter's effort to convey the excitement of discovery that can come with even a relatively common find?  Besides, I can't speak to your experience but great whites and megs are not common finds in New York.  For that matter, they are "common" at only a few places, most collectors have never personally found either one.  If they are so common as to be beneath notice where you live, you are indeed fortunate.

Don

16 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

...why the news would put on such a trivial story of someone finding a small fossil...

Just a local-interest story. The find was indeed very rare for the locality.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!