Triceratops specimen with skin impressions

DD1991

A new, startling revelation you may find interesting:

https://canadianmuseumofnature.wordpress.com/2018/12/12/triceratops-skull/

The skin impression found on a Triceratops skull found by Charles Sternberg in Saskatchewan, Canada, is quite a surprising discovery, potentially giving people an idea of what the skin of Triceratops looked like, because no other Triceratops specimen has skin impressions preserved. The Tyrannosaurus rex skin impression found last year isn't too far from how T. rex is depicted in children's movies, and the newly discovered Triceratops skin impression may or may not be close to how kids illustrate Triceratops, while giving clues to what ceratopsid skin looked like.

• I found this Informative 7

The Triceratops horridus known as LANE, at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, has square meters of skin preserved from many parts of the body. It was collected from the Lance Creek area in Wyoming. This is just an example.

Bob

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

This is really cool! :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

9 hours ago, rfarrar said:

The Triceratops horridus known as LANE, at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, has square meters of skin preserved from many parts of the body. It was collected from the Lance Creek area in Wyoming. This is just an example.

Bob

image.jpeg

Wow! Another Triceratops specimen with skin impressions. When was the specimen collected? I'm curious because Triceratops is now the third dinosaur found in the Hell Creek Formation that is known from skin impressions.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, DD1991 said:

Another Triceratops specimen with skin impressions. When was the specimen collected?

From what I read, the Triceratops known as "Lane," at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, was found in Wyoming in 2007, by a non-professional collector while hunting for fossils on her land. The specimen was later named after her grandson. You can read the article here, in an online newsletter from the museum.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.