Jaimin013

Hi everyone. Please can you let me know what you think OF this tooth? It is being sold as a Suchomimus tooth its from Mahajanga Basin, Madagascar about 2 7/8"

fullsizeoutput_215b_9aaa4e.jpg

fullsizeoutput_2159_bc8de4.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

I don't know for sure if it's a Suchomimus, but that's a really great looking tooth. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

I don't know for sure if it's a Suchomimus, but that's a really great looking tooth. :)

Ok thanks hopefully someone will be able to ID as I really love the way the tooth looks!

Hi Jai, I agree it’s a very nice looking tooth but definetly not from Suchomimus. Suchomimus is from Niger and not the Maeverno Formation in Madagascar (not only geographically separated at the time, but also different ages). Have a picture of the cross-section? Almost certain this is some sort of croc tooth.

8 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Hi Jai, I agree it’s a very nice looking tooth but definetly not from Suchomimus. Suchomimus is from Niger and not the Maeverno Formation in Madagascar (not only geographically separated at the time, but also different ages). Have a picture of the cross-section? Almost certain this is some sort of croc tooth.

I echo your thoughts on the ID not being from Suchomimus (which is a shame as I wish it was). I am puzzled as to what type of croc tooth it may be. The location instantly rang alarm bells. It is a really incredible looking tooth however unfortunately I don't have a pic of the cross section but I have requested for one; not sure if they will send me one but it's worth a try! In the past their location on other fossils has sometimes been inaccurate.

16 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

I echo your thoughts on the ID not being from Suchomimus (which is a shame as I wish it was). I am puzzled as to what type of croc tooth it may be. The location instantly rang alarm bells. It is a really incredible looking tooth however unfortunately I don't have a pic of the cross section but I have requested for one; not sure if they will send me one but it's worth a try! In the past their location on other fossils has sometimes been inaccurate.

I agree that the location info may be spotty because that preservation does not strike me as Maeverno Formation fossils (more of a sandy color.  Similar to the Phosphate mines in Morocco).  For that reason, I am a little iffy on making a call.  Plus, not a lot of research has been done in this area so making an ID would be a shot in the dark.

12 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

I agree that the location info may be spotty because that preservation does not strike me as Maeverno Formation fossils (more of a sandy color.  Similar to the Phosphate mines in Morocco).  For that reason, I am a little iffy on making a call.  Plus, not a lot of research has been done in this area so making an ID would be a shot in the dark.

Do you think it's worth getting the tooth regardless? The condition of the tooth is really nice but it's quite frustrating when sellers haven't done their research and obtained accurate information it really puts me off buying teeth! It's a shame as the condition of the tooth is excellent. 

11 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Do you think it's worth getting the tooth regardless? The condition of the tooth is really nice but it's quite frustrating when sellers haven't done their research and obtained accurate information it really puts me off buying teeth! It's a shame as the condition of the tooth is excellent. 

Hmm it is in very good condition, however, the mystery surrounding the location and the fact that it is not Suchomimus would deter me personally.  However, if you are after a high quality tooth (croc?) and the price is reasonable, then I say go for it!

15 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Hmm it is in very good condition, however, the mystery surrounding the location and the fact that it is not Suchomimus would deter me personally.  However, if you are after a high quality tooth (croc?) and the price is reasonable, then I say go for it!

Yes inaccurate information is what is stopping me. Even though its a high quality tooth all I can say for this fossil is its likely croc.

@Runner64 so the seller has now changed the location of the tooth to Gadoufaoua, Niger! Hmmm now I trust the location even less.... I wonder why..apparently they used an old file for the sucho from an old listing so they adjusted it.

The pic of the cross section is below as you can see it is a really fat tooth!

IMG-20181215-WA0000.jpg

Some other pics pre prep

IMG-20181215-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181215-WA0002.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

@Runner64 so the seller has now changed the location of the tooth to Gadoufaoua, Niger! Hmmm now I trust the location even less.... I wonder why..apparently they used an old file for the sucho from an old listing so they adjusted it.

The pic of the cross section is below as you can see it is a really fat tooth!

IMG-20181215-WA0000.jpg

Some other pics at prep

IMG-20181215-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181215-WA0002.jpg

You know, these pictures look very familiar but cannot remember where I saw them:headscratch:regardless, Elrhaz Formation matches with the preservation much much more than Madagascar. To me, cross-section looks too circular to be Suchomimus, more like croc (not conclusive quite yet). Maybe try asking if there are serrations on it?

5 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

You know, these pictures look very familiar but cannot remember where I saw them:headscratch:regardless, Elrhaz Formation matches with the preservation much much more than Madagascar. To me, cross-section looks too circular to be Suchomimus, more like croc. Maybe try asking if there are serrations on it?

Oh really hmm im sure you are probably right. I don't think the tooth has serrations, the seller as it is is hesitant in providing additional pics so I doubt he will let me know if it has serrations.

3 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

This photo shows some of the wrinkled enamel that is crucial in identifying Suchomimus and Baryonyx teeth. @Jaimin013

Agreed!! However not obvious from the other side..although towards the tip it does hmm

10 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Agreed!! However the other side doesn't hmm

I have been going back and forth looking at all the Sucho teeth I have owned and all the croc teeth I have had from there and I am thinking it is Sucho now.  Going to go against what I previously said because the tooth recurves and has some of that characteristic wrinkled enamel. The tooth also has ridges.  Even if you are unsure if it has serrations, it could still be Sucho (most teeth are so eroded that the serrations are not present).  It does look a little circular in cross-section, but that might just be where the tooth was located in the mouth.  I have found that the more ovular and circular a Bary or Sucho tooth is is indicative of where it was found in the mouth.

Would you be willing to PM me the seller?  Perhaps may be familiar with him/her!

9 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

I have been going back and forth looking at all the Sucho teeth I have owned and all the croc teeth I have had from there and I am thinking it is Sucho now.  Going to go against what I previously said because the tooth recurves and has some of that characteristic wrinkled enamel. The tooth also has ridges.  Even if you are unsure if it has serrations, it could still be Sucho (most teeth are so eroded that the serrations are not present).  It does look a little circular in cross-section, but that might just be where the tooth was located in the mouth.  I have found that the more ovular and circular a Bary or Sucho tooth is is indicative of where it was found in the mouth.

Would you be willing to PM me the seller?  Perhaps may be familiar with him/her!

Thanks for the info, its a tough decision for me and PM'd let me know.

Hi all,

Just for information in case someone is reading this thread and are thinking of buying this tooth. I have spoken to a few people about their opinions on the ID of this tooth and they have said that it's highly likely from a croc. Some of their reasons are below.

- This tooth is clearly round in cross section while a genuine suchomimus tooth is laterally compressed.

- Suchomimus teeth have this atomized texture in the crown and are serrated unless the serrations are worn which is common.

• 9 months later...
50 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Very late response to thus but I believe it to be from kaprosuchus 

Thanks, someone else also told me the same thing. Very awesome tooth and sold pretty much instantly.