Fossils in Kentucky

paleopod

Hi, I'm visiting my niece who just had a baby, in campbellsville KY. I noticed there are a lot of very ancient fossils in Kentucky. Does anyone have any sites or road cuts to explore? Thanks alot, this is my first post.

Stuart

I have heard that brachiopods, corals and crinoids can be found along Crocus Creek.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Hi Stuart and welcome to the Fossil Forum . I have a lot of family in Kentucky and when I go to visit them I try to take advantage of the excellent fossil hunting there- all of it in roadcuts.  I've never been to Campbellsville, but the closest I've collected is a roadcut on Route 88 just south of Nolin Lake- plenty of Mississippian Age blastoids, crinoids, brachiopods, and bryozoans- mostly weathered out in the dirt embankments. There are other sites along Route 31E north of Bardstown- Ordovician brachiopods and corals. Any roadcut in the area where you are staying may be worth checking out also. Good luck.  

many of the road cuts in the Campbellsville area have Mississippian fossils

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks