Conasauga Crusade #7: Jackpot

MeargleSchmeargl

Well, It's been a while.

After a hiatus that has seemed like forever, my friend Barrett and I decided to head to the Conasauga to find us some bugs as neither of us really had anything to do this weekend and we both wanted to do something. This was Barrett's first time, so I was effectively his mentor for the day. First stop however, breakfast of southern hospitality at a local biscuit place!

IMG_20181215_105750301.thumb.jpg.c69cf66cf587b531c8029cf31c92c029.jpg

After that, we went right to the site, getting into the nitty gritty. The river wasn't flooding over, but it was pretty decently high.

IMG_20181215_114732681_HDR.thumb.jpg.d18932706edfa08c963c423ea1be910a.jpg

Of course, that wasn't stopping us. We got into our big water-proof boots and jumped right in.

IMG_20181215_114723272_HDR.thumb.jpg.117722d0b7d5ae61ff164d24fef98f5f.jpg

Barrett quickly got into the groove, finding a certain section of the formation that was producing very large and complete Aphelaspis Brachyphasis with just about every swing of the hammer and chisel. Then late into the day, I found THIS beauty:

IMG_20181215_131836134.thumb.jpg.f7991ac2a99d4d17aac4b9191dfa193b.jpg

I was stunned. I had never seen an exoskeleton on a positive that complete from the formation before like this, and for a second I thought it was fake. (sidenote, while transporting it to the car not long after this picture, a portion of the tailshield's exoskeleton unfortunately got peeled off by a very light breeze into the wind. At least I got a picture! Very fragile!)

There was also a negative, though honestly it was completely outshown.

IMG_20181215_131924293_HDR.thumb.jpg.1718921c7985ee22b7d26d2b9f76e019.jpg

In the end, we didn't take a whole lot, but we definitely took a number of really good ones, including some of the largest complete Aphelaspis I've seen.

IMG_20181215_152953256.thumb.jpg.bd59d74152e03384ccaa5a3f9f78bbdc.jpg

IMG_20181215_152953256.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

That is indeed one beautiful bug - congrats!

One question, though - I think you posted something about "needing more veggies" in another thread - where were the veggies in your biscuit breakfast?! :P (The mom in me is coming out :))

4 hours ago, Monica said:

One question, though - I think you posted something about "needing more veggies" in another thread - where were the veggies in your biscuit breakfast?! :P (The mom in me is coming out :))

I think I was talking about petrified ones. :P

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I didn’t know trilobites could be preserved so thin like that. That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing.:dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Grits are made of corn, and potatoes are from plants.  Also this holiday season to avoid extra calories break cookies in half and then shake the calories out of them before consuming...:D

• I found this Informative 7

10 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I didn’t know trilobites could be preserved so thin like that. That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing.:dinothumb:

The ecoskelrtons are the fragile bit. There's still a positive there if no exoskeleton is there, but it isn't nearly as detailed.

9 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Grits are made of corn, and potatoes are from plants.  Also this holiday season to avoid extra calories break cookies in half and then shake the calories out of them before consuming...:D

You just recited the excuse list I always (try) to use on my mom! :P

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds  (nice to see Monica is monitoring your 5 a day) :D.

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

19 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

You just recited the excuse list I always (try) to use on my mom! :P

A squirt of ketchup on the eggs and BAM.. your veggie need is met.

• I found this Informative 3

7 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

A squirt of ketchup on the eggs and BAM.. your veggie need is met.

This reminds me of something my mother-in-law used to say to Viola when Viola was a toddler/preschooler.  We wanted Viola to get used to tasting foods without any sauces - in fact, we usually discouraged her from using condiments on her food since we had friends whose kids would only eat some foods if they were smothered in ketchup.  Despite this, my mother-in-law would often encourage Viola to put ketchup on foods (mind you, it was always on foods that are often eaten with ketchup, like fries, so her intention wasn't bad) by calling it "tomato ketchup."  I guess by throwing in the "tomato" part, perhaps she was trying to convince Viola that it was good for her?  (Note: I just looked it up, and apparently the main ingredient in the UK's version of ketchup used to be mushrooms, so perhaps my mother-in-law was distinguishing the two?  If I remember to, I'll ask her to find out...)