Hello From Central New York

Calico Jack

Hi there!
I've been lurking here for a while without an account, and figured its high time I introduce myself. My name is Jack, I'm a 3rd year geophysical sciences major at the University of Chicago. I'm fairly new to collecting and prepping. I do most of my hunting when I'm home on break in the Syracuse area of Upstate NY. My favorites to collect are trilos and cephalopods. I'm always looking for new spots and advice!

Glad to be here!

-Jack

• I found this Informative 2

Hello, Jack, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Hope to see some piccies of your trilos and cephalopods plus other finds sometime. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome to the Forum, Jack. 

You live in a great state for collecting those items.

I too, would like to see your collection. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to TFF!!

Would love to see some of those cephalopods :) 

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Hello Jack! Welcome to the forum! I am from the Syracuse area myself.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome @Calico Jack

I am from Utica NY myself and Dave @Darktooth is from Syracuse! 2 trilobite geeks in your neighborhood lol. I’m a big Trilobite and Eurypterid enthusiast :trilo: and I will be spending 2019 focusing on those most likely haha. There will be many fossil hunts in 2019 with trilobites as the target so stick around!

I have also prospected 2 locations in the Utica Rome area for triatharus trilobites out of the Utica shale (north Utica) and triatharus with soft parts from the whetstone gulf formation (north Rome). So I will be busy in 2019!

Al

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. Though I'm from southeastern New York I spend a bit of time collecting in Central New York, primarily in Madison County. Trilobites and cephalopods are a big target of mine. I'm particularly fond of goniatites. I also collect bivalves, gastropods, brachiopods, corals, and phyllocarids. Love to see some of your finds. 

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Welcome @Calico Jack

I am from Utica NY myself and Dave @Darktooth is from Syracuse! 2 trilobite geeks in your neighborhood lol. I’m a big Trilobite and Eurypterid enthusiast :trilo: and I will be spending 2019 focusing on those most likely haha. There will be many fossil hunts in 2019 with trilobites as the target so stick around!

I have also prospected 2 locations in the Utica Rome area for triatharus trilobites out of the Utica shale (north Utica) and triatharus with soft parts from the whetstone gulf formation (north Rome). So I will be busy in 2019!

Al

@Al Tahan @Darktooth It's great to see so many upstate people on here! Especially trilobite enthusiasts!

6 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. Though I'm from southeastern New York I spend a bit of time collecting in Central New York, primarily in Madison County. Trilobites and cephalopods are a big target of mine. I'm particularly fond of goniatites. I also collect bivalves, gastropods, brachiopods, corals, and phyllocarids. Love to see some of your finds. 

Thanks for the warm welcome! Madison county is my usual collecting area, I live in Onondaga County just over the Madison County line. I tend to frequent the Deep Springs and Briggs Road sites. I'd love to pick your brain about any of the other spots in the area (if you don't mind sharing of course).

Just now, Calico Jack said:

Thanks for the warm welcome! Madison county is my usual collecting area, I live in Onondaga County just over the Madison County line. I tend to frequent the Deep Springs and Briggs Road sites. I'd love to pick your brain about any of the other spots in the area (if you don't mind sharing of course).

I'm very familiar with both of those sites, especially Deep Springs Road. I've helped organize twice a year get togethers of TFF members at DSR for the past three years. Maybe you would like to join us in the spring? . 

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I'm very familiar with both of those sites, especially Deep Springs Road. I've helped organize twice a year get togethers of TFF members at DSR for the past three years. Maybe you would like to join us in the spring? . 

I'd love to join if I'm not away at school then!

33 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

I’ve never been to deep springs road and Briggs rd but I’m going to be there a few times at least in 2019. I just joined the forum the beginning of November and everyone here is amazing and friendly. Cole hill rd for dipleura is another great CNY spot. I went there for the first time in November and was not disappointed. Cool to see another geoscience student! My story is long and drawn out but I work with my family retail business even tho I have a geology degree and an earth science degree from buffalo. I was lucky to be in trilobite heaven for 5 years. Now I’m just trying to stay sane Hahah

3 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

I’ve never been to deep springs road and Briggs rd but I’m going to be there a few times at least in 2019. I just joined the forum the beginning of November and everyone here is amazing and friendly. Cole hill rd for dipleura is another great CNY spot. I went there for the first time in November and was not disappointed. Cool to see another geoscience student! My story is long and drawn out but I work with my family retail business even tho I have a geology degree and an earth science degree from buffalo. I was lucky to be in trilobite heaven for 5 years. Now I’m just trying to stay sane Hahah

Oh don't you worry Al, we will get you out to DSR and Briggs plenty this year.:)

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome from Northern California!  University of Chicago, home of the famous paleontologist, Alfred Sherwood Romer.  And you are near to the Field Museum of Natural History!  Very nice.  Almost makes it worth braving Chicago’s brutal winters! But I guess if you are from New York such weather doesn’t faze you.  Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome to TFF ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library