Is there a good read for ID'ing fern species

Kato

Here is a sample of a fern and Cordaites along the bottom (my guess) I've been finding. Pennsylvanian formation in an area with igneous intrusions. I would enjoy being able to identify and label different fern types in the future so any help naming these now and a good source for learning more would be my ideal goal. Lastly; what induces the coloration? Is it some form of pyritization? High iron mineral content of water and ground it grew in at the time?

image.thumb.png.96b91e6608376e067747b50d1b2f9a93.png

I have additional specimen photos that appear to be of other types but I just realized my file sizes are limiting how many I can post at a time...need to learn how to do better in future posts.

• I found this Informative 1

12 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Barnes and Noble have it much cheaper and the Ebook is only $3.00!!

The link was only for display (and I want to avoid an amazon link) and because of the review, ofcourse there are several used and cheaper ones available in the www.

Here is an online resource - although a bit dated ( = no longer accurate) . 

THIS may prove useful as well as THIS.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Kato. Just had to say, these fossils are incredibly beautiful. Did you find these in New Mexico? The coloration blows my mind!

@ynot can likely explain which minerals are causing these colors.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

although a bit dated

Lesquereux's drawings have always been among my favorites for Carboniferous material.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

geologic Surveys of: Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and W.Virginia all have good info on fossil plants.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 hours ago, Innocentx said:

@Kato. Just had to say, these fossils are incredibly beautiful. Did you find these in New Mexico? The coloration blows my mind!

@ynot can likely explain which minerals are causing these colors.

Yes, I found these in the Sacramento Mountains in a Pennsylvanian formation very close to an igneous intrusion in a high iron content area. The colors are that vibrant in real life. I hope they do not fade. Have also found some very tiny fern fossils in high iron content red shale but nothing worth posting at this time. That layer almost looks metamorphosed.

I very much recommend the book "Paleontology of New Mexico"  by Barry Kues.  Most of the common fossils from every period represented in New Mexico are illustrated.

I'm also a little envious, there is a remarkable diversity of geological ages and fossils exposed in the Sacramento Mountains and elsewhere in the area.

Don

10 hours ago, Kato said:

Yes, I found these in the Sacramento Mountains in a Pennsylvanian formation very close to an igneous intrusion in a high iron content area. The colors are that vibrant in real life. I hope they do not fade. Have also found some very tiny fern fossils in high iron content red shale but nothing worth posting at this time. That layer almost looks metamorphosed.

There is a similar situation in one of Europes most famous Carboniferous sites (famous for it's colours): quarry, plants 1, plants 2, bug

The piesberg intrusion there is responsible for a smooth metamorphosis, the silver-whitish colours are result of a pressure-shade-pseudomorphosis, mineral is there a hydromuscovite variety called Gümbelite. Iron is mobilized from the sediments and responsible for the colours, sometimes it occurs with gypsum. I think there might be a similar mineralogical situation in your sites...

4 hours ago, Johannes said:

There is a similar situation in one of Europes most famous Carboniferous sites (famous for it's colours): quarry, plants 1, plants 2, bug

The piesberg intrusion there is responsible for a smooth metamorphosis, the silver-whitish colours are result of a pressure-shade-pseudomorphosis, mineral is there a hydromuscovite variety called Gümbelite. Iron is mobilized from the sediments and responsible for the colours, sometimes it occurs with gypsum. I think there might be a similar mineralogical situation in your sites...

Johannes, I have found gypsum virtually everywhere in the Sacramento Mountains....nearby is the resulting White Sands National Monument.