Clam flat

Rockwood

Found (on skis) in glacial material. Most likely from a lower Devonian marine delta related formation.

The traces don't photograph well, but they seem to be closely associated with the bivalve fossil. How do the odds look that the association is trace to maker ?

IMG_4929a.jpg

IMG_4930a.jpg

IMG_4931a.jpg

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

How do the odds look that the association is trace to maker ?

Size ratio between the two would be my choice for figuring out this possibility.

Here's an interesting article with good video showing present day clam digging. It might explain a few things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/05/12/the-science-behind-that-strange-viral-video-of-a-clam-digging-through-sand/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f2f70837bc6e

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I traced out what look like about the right shapes to me.

I have to admit they don't look directly connected to the body fossil though.

IMG_4931a_LI.jpg

Arthrophycus would be my guess.

IMG_4931a.jpg.dfe8eb5038fb711c2bcb6238aa6da218.thumb.jpg.c8922b3868e865cf0a7a21692f513cb5.jpg5c16db22c391e_Fig.5..thumb.jpg.0f9eec8352faf4de4bdbdc4cf42dc7ab.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Arthrophycus would be my guess.

I appreciate the thought, but I don't think that is really the best shot from the perspective of lighting to go by. As I see it they aren't connected, but rather discrete at varying angles and levels within the matrix. 

40 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I appreciate the thought, but I don't think that is really the best shot from the perspective of lighting to go by. As I see it they aren't connected, but rather discrete at varying angles and levels within the matrix. 

... then, maybe something like this?

5c16ea7039bce_Fig.2.thumb.jpg.3da26318b0cfe92bfa0b9cac877622ad.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

.. then, maybe something like this?

Sorry . . they all seem to lack noticeable surface features, and have a varied but present taper the entire length with only a slight curve.