Large leg bone from a dinosaur?

jorantex

The 'snail' looks like the bivalve Exogyra to me. Belongs to the oyster order. 

Nice. :)

• I found this Informative 7

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that is bone.  Someone should have a pretty good guess as to what it is from based on location, size, and the nearly complete end.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

From what I see it is fossil bone, but we need more info on the geology of the area. Dinosaur remains are quite rare in Texas, especially outside of the Big Bend area in southern Texas.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

The oysters are Upper Cretaceous. Exogyra ponderosa by the look of them.  As Ramon mentioned, dinosaur skeletal material in Texas is typically only found in a few places and Brushy Creek isn't one of them.  My money is on large pleistocene mammal....    Then again it could be a rudist....wink, wink...

• I found this Informative 2

It's difficult.

IMO the object is a bone.

If the oysters and the object are from same layer (?) it's unlikely that it is an elephantoid bone, since they're not present in jurassic or cretacious layers as the oysters are from these age.

If not, it could be some pleistocene bone stuff. On the other hand the pictures suggest that the bone is pretty heavy (means mineralized) - if so,  that would be a hint that it is not pleistocene but jurassic/cretacious...:headscratch:

Interesting, what local collectors will tell...

It’s Pleistocene bone, prob one of the elephants, listen to Harry re: anatomical position.  Pleistocene overlies Upper Cretaceous in bedded stream banks of that area, so local gravels are of mixed age. 

• I found this Informative 6

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

hello all...thanks for the inputs.

The 2 largest Exogyra are ~3 1/2" tall and 6" at their widest point, the others go down from there...these were on the gravel bar in Brushy Creek

The bone was just sitting on the bank as well, it was water logged...so it must have washed out of its place of during down the last flood, ...and could be from a very different depth than the shells. It has now been sitting in a inside dark environment...and seems pretty dried out.  How best do I preserve this?

Based on the feedback...then, its a more likely a mammoth or mastadon?