Trilobite, Ammonite and Amber

Vallads

Hi,

This is my first topic so, if i broke some forum rule or doing something wrong, please tell me, sorry. Also, english is not my native language, im trying to write correctly. :(

Ok, im very very newbie in fossil subject but love science and decided to start my own collection.

Well, i found this (pictures bellow).

The owner received as a gift and has no extra information, just they came from a north america store's.

Well,  my main question is: this trilobite is real?

What is that in her "head" (cephalon, right?) ?

I mean, i know some cracks in fossils are signs of autenthicity but something like that? Maybe the original fossil is missing this part and the preparer tried to fix? Or it's normal?

And.. its a phacops?

trilo3.thumb.jpg.382e28b4d94cac10ee0b28bd23a2c7e4.jpg

trilo1.thumb.jpg.a5068ecb58796c2017674dafe9a62542.jpg

(i know the picture is bad, not focused)

How about this ammonite and amber? Are they real ?

amo1.jpg.ed65edc2f7a29460ac9d2934c1a2d339.jpg

amo2.jpg.60e20292df966431ac8156a4f7c1a3f8.jpg

amber.jpg.88183da5b0be379d0d8819105deabe92.jpg

Thank you very much for any information !

Edited by Vallads

The first one appears to be a phacopid trilobite from Morocco and the second a Perisphinctes ammonite from Madagascar. The Last one is certainly a Bernstein with inclusions.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

Phacopid AMMONITE ? Drink a second coffee Roger ! ;) :rofl:

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thank you all for the answers ! But how about the "crack" in trilobite's cephalon? Is it natural or was it filled during the preparation to fix a missing part? I did not know there was a kind of "shallow layer" in the fossil, never seen one like that.

@Ludwigia how do you know about ammonite and amber details and origin? They all look very similar to me lol.

53 minutes ago, Vallads said:

Thank you all for the answers ! But how about the "crack" in trilobite's cephalon? Is it natural or was it filled during the preparation to fix a missing part? I did not know there was a kind of "shallow layer" in the fossil, never seen one like that.

@Ludwigia how do you know about ammonite and amber details and origin? They all look very similar to me lol.

The "crack" occurred when part of the shell broke and fell off. As far as the others are concerned, I've seen hundreds of those over many decades, so I can recognize them instantly. Believe me.

28 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

The "crack" occurred when part of the shell broke and fell off. As far as the others are concerned, I've seen hundreds of those over many decades, so I can recognize them instantly. Believe me.

So, the crack occur before the fossilization process?

Here is a Perisphinctes from Madagascar from my own collection, they are pretty freely available. 

Note the similarity in preservation, colouring, matrix etc.

Perisphinctes.thumb.jpg.4c2257d72847a7f4b24bc97db154d206.jpg

And from my own experience, the trilobite looks real and from the Moroccan Devonian. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

54 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Here is a Perisphinctes from Madagascar from my own collection, they are pretty freely available. 

Note the similarity in preservation, colouring, matrix etc.

Perisphinctes.thumb.jpg.4c2257d72847a7f4b24bc97db154d206.jpg

And from my own experience, the trilobite looks real and from the Moroccan Devonian. 

Indeed. Thank you for the contribution.

6 hours ago, Vallads said:

So, the crack occur before the fossilization process?

No. Afterwards. You can recognize that because the internal cast which was formed during fossilization is visible where the shell is missing.

14 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Phacopid AMMONITE ? Drink a second coffee Roger ! ;) :rofl:

Coco

Oops! I guess I was fallng asleep at the time. At least I've corrected it now.

Your ammonite is real, but I will point out that the ribs have all been polished a bit where you see they are shiny - Something the Madagascans do to meet export rules, apparently. Not all of them have had this done to them (see Tidgy's Dad's). I consider this damage, and I would try to find one without it before I settle for one with it.

A lot of times the aperture has been squared off, too, as Tidgy's appears to be, but yours does not!