doushantuo

Mesozoic moss animals

TqB

Lovely paper, thanks! Some beautiful material there - and I think it confirms this as a relict Herpetopora. :) (Maastrichtian, Norfolk)

IMG_2293.jpeg

doushantuo

awesome specimen,that

Al Dente
2 hours ago, TqB said:

Lovely paper, thanks! Some beautiful material there - and I think it confirms this as a relict Herpetopora. :) (Maastrichtian, Norfolk)

Etched bryozoan traces are pretty interesting, I find modern ones on North Carolina beaches, usually on clam shells. Here's a similar one from another Taylor paper "A new Ichnogenus for etchings made by Cheilostome Bryozoans into calcareous substrates".

bryo.JPG

fossilnut

Thanks to all of you for posting this topic. I'm one of those who loves bryozoans. These traces are fascinating. I do not think that I have found/recognized any while in NC. @Al DenteHave you found any at OBX? I will put this on my list to try and find. Will take some time to try and understand this material. Holiday wishes to all.

Tidgy's Dad

Interesting paper. 

Lovely specimen, Tarquin. :) @TqB

TqB

@Tidgy's DadThanks, Adam, collected when I was about 11. :)  Looking at Al Dente's paper, it may well not be Herpetopora, better stick with the ichnospecies Leptichnus dromeus.

Al Dente
9 hours ago, fossilnut said:

@Al DenteHave you found any at OBX?

Yes. I’m not sure if I’ve kept any. Somewhere I have some Pleistocene shells with etched bryozoan traces.

Hubertus68
On 17.12.2018 at 10:52 AM, TqB said:

IMG_2293.jpeg

Nice specimen! But it must not be Herpetopora. There are quite a lot uniserial genera that could have caused these traces. But Herpetopora is a good possibility.

Best wishes,

Oliver

fossilnut

@Al DenteLooking at a picture of a cockle shell with blister pearls that I found last year at NMB there were traces of bryozoa that I had not noticed before and would not have known what they were until reading this post. The shell has bryozoa, coral,5c1ce977da0d0_Screenshot_2018-12-21BlisterPearls.thumb.jpg.363533190f1aa4e99c46219e182a5a62.jpg worm tubes in addition to the blister pearls.Thanks to all for posting to this topic.

TqB
4 hours ago, Hubertus68 said:

Nice specimen! But it must not be Herpetopora. There are quite a lot uniserial genera that could have caused these traces. But Herpetopora is a good possibility.

Best wishes,

Oliver

Thanks, I've come to that conclusion too now! I'll stick with just the ichnospecies Leptichnus dromeus.

doushantuo

"postscript"

"Paulina":D

Nice tribute!

TZ_313_1_Gontar.pdf

Proceedings of the Zoological Institute RAS
Vol. 313, No. 1, 2009, рр. 41–57
УДК 594.711
NEW SPECIES FROM THE ORDER CYCLOSTOMATA (BRYOZOA) FROM THE NORTHERN AND MIDDLE KURILE ISLANDS
V.I. Gontar