Beach hunting at North myrtle Beach, South Carolina Part 2

fossilnut

This was the year of the Mammal for me. The antler piece was given to me by my friend Bill who ONLY keeps shark teeth-he also gave me the meg pieces in the previous post. The 2nd piece in the picture I can not id. Pictures 3-5 is this a deer tooth? 6/7 horse? 8/9 piece of mastodon tooth? 10/11 mammoth tooth piece, 12/13 looks like tooth material?, 14,15 looks to me to be ivory? mastodon or mammoth? 16/17 looks like the baleen groove for a baleen whale?

I have a number of other large bone? pieces that i will post later as part 3 to try and see if identifiable as well as some interesting modern stuff. I did not post the bryozoan material I found either. Thanks for looking and any corrections, suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

DSCN5296.JPG

DSCN5297.JPG

DSCN5243.JPG

DSCN5239.JPG

DSCN5237.JPG

DSCN5245.JPG

DSCN5246.JPG

DSCN5251.JPG

DSCN5255.JPG

DSCN5263.JPG

DSCN5265.JPG

DSCN5275.JPG

DSCN5278.JPG

DSCN5316.JPG

DSCN5324.JPG

DSCN5311.JPG

DSCN5314.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

8/9 is a piece of mastodon tooth. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: I have I piece that looks very similar. Great find! I will look at the rest tomorrow with fresh eyes.

@fossilnut 12 and 13 looks like a possible tusk fragment from mammoth or mastodon. 13 could be the growth rings. Does either end have a cross hatch pattern on it? Take a close-up photo of this end please.

possible Tusk1R.jpg

6/7 - Indeed is a horse tooth, incomplete lower cheek tooth.

10/11 - partial mammoth tooth

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Thanks for your confirmation.

3 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Take a close-up photo of this end please.

Will do but it may take me a few days. Do you have any thoughts on 14/15? I thought it looked to have an "enamel" coating. Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays to you.

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I agree with Abyssunder

17 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

Thanks for your confirmation.

Will do but it may take me a few days. Do you have any thoughts on 14/15? I thought it looked to have an "enamel" coating. Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays to you.

Great finds for sure! Did you find the mammal fossils? I need more views of 14/15 also. As Pictured now it looks more like petrified wood to me, but more pictures could certainly change that opinion. Happy Holidays!

Yep found everything but the deer antler base and the meg pieces. What makes me want to go every year to that beach is you never know what you will find and the fossil finds range from Miocene to the Pleistocene. The recent materials are also interesting. My friend Bill found a very large fossil alligator tooth (That he Kept) this year and last year after I left he found a perfect Morrow Mountain Indian point on the beach. Last year I may have mentioned I found a large blister pearl in a Mercenaria shell which I believe is fossil. I believe in imaging and I really focused on finding a horse tooth but it took me to the last minute to find it. Saw another guys very nice horse tooth while there and one 3 inch beautiful meg. Will do more pics of 14/15.

15 hours ago, fossilnut said:

Last year I may have mentioned I found a large blister pearl in a Mercenaria shell which I believe is fossil.

:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@Bronzviking and others  I have taken end picture of item in 12/13 which you id'ed as m/m tusk possibly. Also I have taken additional pictures of item in 14/15 which I thought possible had an ivory coating and was a tusk, You felt it may be petrified wood. Note the slight curve of the piece. I will be adding additional pictures of other pieces that I found that have this same slight curvature. All thought would be appreciated.

DSCN5357.thumb.JPG.aa7a14c32baff78607cf1f8a0508780d.JPG

23 hours ago, fossilnut said:

@Bronzviking and others  I have taken end picture of item in 12/13 which you id'ed as m/m tusk possibly. Also I have taken additional pictures of item in 14/15 which I thought possible had an ivory coating and was a tusk, You felt it may be petrified wood. Note the slight curve of the piece. I will be adding additional pictures of other pieces that I found that have this same slight curvature. All thought would be appreciated.

DSCN5357.thumb.JPG.aa7a14c32baff78607cf1f8a0508780d.JPG

With this new angle I don't think the curvature is right for tusk. When I looked at it again it reminded me of the roof of your mouth. Could it be an eagle ray crushing plate? Look at pic below and compare.

ray-fossil-aetomylaeus.jpg

mouth plate.JPG

On 12/19/2018 at 2:59 PM, Bronzviking said:

@fossilnut 12 and 13 looks like a possible tusk fragment from mammoth or mastodon. 13 could be the growth rings. Does either end have a cross hatch pattern on it? Take a close-up photo of this end please.

possible Tusk1R.jpg

This is the midsection of a giant groundsloth tooth.

sloth_teeth_pair_A.JPG.e8d4e305ff0ab28463b6df917e281062.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 12/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, Harry Pristis said:

This is the midsection of a giant groundsloth tooth.

Thanks for that id. Never would have thought of that. This year was fun at the beach!

@Harry Pristis has an absolutely amazing gallery for Cenozoic bones, teeth and other stuff. I think it’s largely Pleistocene. But probably has more than that. I’ve used it many times.

For future reference here is a link to his bone gallery.

Thank you, @KimTexan , for the endorsement.  I've enjoyed making the images.  I do suspect they are under-used for identification purposes, but it's an unknown without feedback like yours.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Thank you, @KimTexan , for the endorsement.  I've enjoyed making the images.  I do suspect they are under-used for identification purposes, but it's an unknown without feedback like yours.

@Harry Pristis I just went though your library posted and I think the photographs and data is outstanding. I will definitely bookmark it and be using it for identification purposes in the future. Thank you for sharing!